or Connect

Posts by johng70

Disagree.  As I mentioned previously, it isn't just high end watches, it's all watches.  As far as "overdressed" - that's a bit of a silly statement.  A ring, necklace, earrings, bracelet, tie, jacket, etc.... there are all sorts of adornments people wear that go beyond throwing an animal skin around their body to provide the basic necessity of protection from the elements. I think it's great you don't wear one.  But the notion that a watch is some vulgar and pretentious...
I'm struggling mightily with why you would post such a question on a forum called STYLEFORUM.  Oddly enough, it isn't just the type of individual who hangs out on this forum that wears a watch for style.  They've made quite the fashion comeback.  My 26 year old niece wears a watch every day whose battery ran out 6 months ago  I receive a comment or compliment about my watch every couple of weeks. But, there are also situations where it's simply impolite or not possible to...
It depends on how you define "motorcycle jacket".  Leather jackets as a fashion choice are definitely on the rise.  But not every leather jacket was influenced by motorcycle riding.  To another poster's point, today's jackets that are actually designed and marketed for actual riding isn't the same as mass-marketed jackets inspired by past styles.  For example, I have an Aero Highwayman.  While inspired by the design of a riding jacket from decades past, that style of...
I will again second the advice that dark color cottons fade through washing.  If you're going to mix: some pants wool, some cotton - make the wool your darker colors.
Nonsense.  Black wool pants look great too.  There is an unnatural thought process here at styleforum that the rest of the real world does not subscribe to regarding black.  Black wool pants look just fine.  It doesn't mean the OP needs to wear them.  But, if he likes them, the phobia regarding them here on SF isn't shared by the rest of the real world (much like black shoes).
Ok - if your work environment requires you wear suits on a daily basis, you really need 3-5 suits to get you going.  Unless you come from money, the notion of spending $2,000 per suit for bespoke is plain silly.  Sorry, but it is.  You need to buy shirts, ties, belts, shoes, etc...  Dumping $10k on your wardrobe right off the bat (unless you've got a trust fund) is plain stupid.    A big problem is:  you don't know what you like yet.  Buying $400 shoes and a $2,000 Suit...
What is the dress code where you work? Where do you work geographically?  You're going to find that dress "norms" and fashion sense can be VERY different throughout even the US (I assume since you linked to Nordstrom you are US based).   I have a corporate job that is business casual.  I've gone through quite a number of different pants over the years.  I really prefer wool - I wear Brooks Brothers Gabardines right now - they drape better than cotton   Navy, Khaki,...
I tend to agree that a pocket square is an attention grabber.  The answer is along the same lines as: Should I wear my Walnut shoes or my dark brown or black shoes? Should I wear muted, conservative socks or more stylistic socks? Should I wear a muted, conservative tie or something a bit more bold?   In other words, do I want to blend in or stand out?  Funerals are a great example of a situation where you shouldn't be trying to draw attention to yourself.  No Walnut...
Don't overthink this.  Whichever shoe YOU prefer will be more than fine.  They're both attractive shoes and the likelihood that your interviewer is going to think either is "too formal" or "too informal" is ridiculous.  Wear a white shirt and conservative tie and you'll be fine.
Tough to always tell on internet, but your J&Ms are already a dark red.  You're missing a medium to dark Brown - the most versatile color.  I love the oxblood and walnut colors but I would suggest something int a mid to dark brown.  Be carful about the reddish-brown colors - they are not as versatile, IMO.   I have 2 strands - walnut and oxblood and they're my favorite shoe.  Given what you have already, I think the burnished brown might be a more versatile choice - or...