or Connect

Posts by johng70

I wouldn't call that a dress boot.  Definitely casual.  Similar to my White's Semi Dress.  A nice casual boot, but certainly not something I would consider "dress" much less wear with a suit.  But, every person is different.
Wearing Walnut Strands with dark jeans will definitely stand out.  That's a rather bold contrast.
You might want to look at the 221 jeans from Lucky - Italian Supersoft version.  Elastan instead of Spandex but still a good pair of pants.  Fits better than the non-supersoft versions.
Always. But, it needs to be a casual belt.  Looks a bit ridiculous to wear a dress belt with jeans.
For your Residency Interviews let me also suggest that how your clothes fit is probably more important to overall impression than the shoes (assuming the shoes are of decent quality and good condition).  So, make sure the shirts you wear for both occasions fit properly and the pants as well.  Nice shoes won't make up for baggy clothing.  Wear a belt of similar color to your shoes - black dress belt with the suit and a more casual brown belt with the khakis.  Belt doesn't...
Just to jump in on a couple topics here.  I have Walnut Strands and I really like them.  However, they are a very contrasting shoe and IMO do not look good with dark colors.  With jeans, I find my McTavish and Brown Wilberts are great looking shoes.  Of course, strands look better with khakis/chinos.  But, I would say the lightness of the Walnut definitely makes them less versatile than some of the mid and darker tones.   As for jeans - I'm definitely on board with...
To me, they look too large for your face.  The last pair is closer to a size that looks good on your face although I'm not a fan of those particular glasses.  Interesting because I just went through a similar process.  Fortunately, my girlfriend went with me when I went to pick out some Maui Jims.  I tried 5 different pairs on before she helped pick a pair that looked good on my face.  It's a lot like an eye exam (is this pair better or worse....) :) Glad I went in to a...
Claghorn, We're talking about SOCKS and a POCKET SQUARE here.  The OP stated she likes things basic.  This is hardly something to dig your heels in about.  If suit/shirt/tie are already conservative - which the OP stated they are - I do not think it's worth tussling over to throw more wild colors/patterns into it.  It is wise to pick your battles.  Socks and a pocket square are not a battle worth picking in my opinion.
My advice: You may think the wedding is about the two of you. It's not.  It's about her.  You're just along for the ride.  She likes it clean and basic - that's what you need to do.  Ditch colorful socks - black suit, black socks.  Period.  You could do a white square as suggested because that is in-line with the "clean" approach and coordinates with the tie.    When in doubt, take her with you so she can pick out something SHE likes since it sounds like she is more...
Yep. It is a challenge - the more you see the more you think, that looks cool too.  Again, my advice is to stick to what's most versatile first.  I think burgandy is the least versatile for casual wear.  British Tan and Natural CXL appear to be very similar in color - so again, it comes down to TYPE of leather you want.  The british tan leather is going to be a bit thicker the CXL more supple  The tan will take a polish better but the CXL has that default deeper color due...