Posts by johng70

As the other poster mentioned, quality of the two is most likely similar.  Assuming you only wear the shoes 2 days a week you should get a couple years.  Keep them well polished and use a shoe horn and you'll extend the life.  Why the horn?  Because forcing your heel down over the back of the shoe will damage it.  Keeping it well polished will protect the leather.   If you're wearing dress shoes 5 days a week that means you need at least 2 - preferably 3 pairs.  If...
JT shirts.... http://www.collectedthreads.com
Truth is - don't overthink the collar.  Any of the 3 basic styles will work.  Just make sure the shirt fits correctly and isn't baggy or too tight.
Yes, I measure right at 9.5.  But, a brannock only takes two measurements and when you deal with better quality leather shoes, the leather is less pliable than cheap shoes.  What I am saying is that two people could measure the exact same on the device but because of the shape of the shoe and their personal preferences, those two people could each be more comfortable in two different sizes.  And, as I mentioned, I require an "E" in the 5 last for it to be comfortable for...
The problem is almost always a question of durability - zippers, corners, bottoms and how handles attach.  Filson is a great option but a little more than you want to spend.  Here's another option, a little less well known, but they make high quality: https://www.duluthpack.com/business/portfolios/the-commuter-laptop-portfolio.html   There are other models you can look at.  But, Duluth Pack is still high quality, made in America.     And, the leather accents aren't...
I second the advice above - AE shoes (I think I have 8 or 9 pairs) are definitely snug.  For me, some lasts don't feel right at all - no matter what combination I try.  I measure 9.5D right on the money.  A 5-last in "E" fits me perfect (that's the same last as the shoe you are interested in).  Other lasts in other combinations have slightly less comfortable results.  I couldn't imagine sizing down on the 5 last, but that's ME and how my foot is shaped and the feel that I...
Another +1.  I concur that monograms are tacky and adding the "V" to it would really be tacky.  Nothing wrong with being proud of your name or the fact that you're the 5th male in your family tree to have that name.  So, by all means, sign your name with the "V".  I just can't recommend a solution for monogramming - my advice is to just not do it.
Not really.  You see simple stripes or simple dots as well - usually in very safe colors of blue, red.  The very simple color and pattern choices are made for a reason.  Those simple stripe or simple dot patterns will stay in style, yes.  But, not everyone wants their entire collection to be those style of ties.  It's great if you do.  It's also great if you don't.
Thom - if everyone agreed on fashion, the world would be a boring place.
Patterns go in and out of style.  Sure, you can be very conservative and wear a a politician style tie and you'll be safe.  To me, the tie is the place you can be less conservative in in many situations.  All up to the individual person and their choices.  So, it's less about width than it is about the pattern of the tie.