or Connect

Posts by cerneabbas

I don't remember seeing that many West Indians wearing jeans,certainly not with turn ups.I don't think that white lads locally usually wore their trousers as short as jeans,but I remember seeing young West Indians wearing trousers up to their shins in the mid 70s.As Covskin says,2 different things happening at the same time,and I agree with his boot explanation for skinheads jeans length,I can remember putting an extra turn on my turn ups when wearing boots and turning it...
Have looked at the Hoggs of Fife  Kenmore and I agree with Kingstonian that I would prefer them to the Royal,I like the pebble grain but I know that some find it too country,be interesting to know which last shape they are.
I have always thought that it was an odd choice for Loake to make the Royal in burgundy but not in brown,if I was them I would have made it in tan as an experiment to see how it sold. I check the special offers part of the Loake site to see if they ever make the Hoxton again,its a brogue ( not longwing) and the black ones look very like brogues that I remember being worn here about 1970,I was still at school and I had to have cheaper brogues as I was still growing,I...
They don't generally do the Royal in brown Mr K,its usually in burgundy,the brown ones are limited availability special offer,its a  good price.   BTW,I looked at the Ralph Lauren short sleeve check BDs in John Lewis today,I don't usually bother with them because of the logo,but there was one subdued blue check with a blue logo that hardly showed and I am quite tempted,I also like the cotton windbreaker but the navy one has a white logo that stands out a mile,a pity.
The bottom picture is from 1971 ?, very much what lads were wearing in my neck of the woods then..I have mentioned the dark plain BD shirts ( Ben Sherman or Brutus) with a white tie,I remember messing up a pair of loafers trying to make them into two tone ones.I bet that all white cigarette is a Consulate menthol  one,we smoked them sometimes.
I dont know if anyone will be interested but I was just looking on Loakes website,and in their special offers they have the Royal in brown at £145. Also I read somewhere online today that the Allen Edmonds Macneill in walnut grain has been discontinued,seems a shame if that's true.
Summer made a brief but welcome appearance here this week and has made me think about short sleeve shirts,many years ago I liked the bright check BD shirts but they have become a bit OTT for me now,the M&S ones are ok but not that well fitted,I find that they tend to balloon out around the waist,back in the day I would have gone for a Ben Sherman but not now,anybody wear short sleeve BDs now ? or have they become too associated with workwear ?.
I agree that finding quality is difficult these days,for me it can either mean making a tedious journey or taking pot luck online,and you still don't get the quality of yesteryear. I saw a pensioner wearing an ancient but good quality coat a few weeks ago and remarked to my workmate that you couldn't buy a quality coat now that would last as long. I guess that with tv and the internet there can hardly be a recognisable item of clothing that has not become associated with...
I can relate too a lot of this as I have quite a lot of tattoos,in my case nothing below the elbows or neck / face / head..so wearing a short sleeve shirt and trousers nothing shows. The reactions of people who have known me for years but have never seen my tattoos can be hilarious when they do see them,some people become negative,but on occasion women who haven't taken any interest before suddenly become friendly,usually non tattooed women, I never follow this interest up...
I have been thinking a lot about what 'the Look ' is now after Kingstonian mentioned V.Meldrew wearing some decent kit. Maybe this is ridiculous but perhaps the acid test for me is to think 'if there was a second coming of Steve Mcqueen in 2015,as a man in his 50s,would he wear that ?' if the item in question is a BS harrymac then the answer is no, but what would he wear ?. I like some of the Milanese look but like covskin I prefer a bit of a simpler look with no (or few )...