or Connect

Posts by cerneabbas

I agree that there have been some very interesting posts lately,they have made me consider things. As regards covskins list,I found that a really interesting post,but more as a starting point,to be tailored to an individual,for instance I wouldn't need 6 ties,ok I have more than 6,but probably I could get away with 2 (+ a black one for funerals).I also think that 6 polos is a lot,but I would also want long sleeve polos for our 9 month winter,so say 3 of each and 6 is...
Funny that you should post this today as I went into Hugo Boss yesterday looking for a belt,but my eye was taken by a long sleeve casual shirt that would look good with jeans or trousers but wasn't like anything that I have owned ( or really looked at ) before.I have been wondering since why I like that shirt,maybe its because I am becoming aware because of posts on here about the need for items to be more versatile,particularly casual wear.Maybe the polo shirt is a bit...
I thought of Kevin the teenager as he got older.
I pretty much agree with that except I would have a navy Harrington,I think that would go better with the brown trainers or the brown brogues on my list.Agree about various coloured polos to break things up.My most 'versatile' item is a long sleeved polo,not the pique type,I have got some Boss pima cotton ones but I guess John Smedley would be better,can be worn on its own with jeans or trousers,under a v neck,with a sportscoat or blazer....with a suit ? ,a grey or mid...
The brown trainers that I am of thinking of in that post are a pair of Hugo Boss 'sneakers' that I found cheap in a sale,they look ok with jeans in the summer. I have got several pairs of trainers too,useful for wearing to and from the gym or swimming baths or going to the local shops or if driving any where...pity then that I don't really like the trainer / jeans look !.   I agree about decent shoes,too good to walk around the pavements in ,the trouble is that we like...
I agree about a dark suit,if you add a blazer / sports coat,grey trousers and navy trousers,that should cover most options for a lot of people...overcoat ? raincoat ?,white shirt,light blue shirt,ties.For me spending a lot of time outdoors a parka of some sort is an 'essential',but that wouldn't be the case for everyone,a Harrington type jacket would be though.Black plain shoes,brown brogues,a decent pair of brown trainers,and a couple of pairs of jeans,polos, short sleeve...
I have seen several articles about the 'essential' items in a mans wardrobe online,I find them interesting but obviously they are one size fits all lists.Surely you have to take account of interests or type of employment maybe ?, or do the 'essentials' remain the same ?.
I have been thinking about the term 'smart casual',its subjective in fact I have seen it written with a list after ie Dress smart casual ( no jeans,trainers,shorts,t shirts). I wonder if there is any point in saying smart casual ?,should it just be casual ? and what does the term mean to you ? should it include jeans ?.
I did read some of that thread,ok we talk and ask about certain items but trying to find a complete look / identity was a bit odd IMO. The problem for me with rules is that a look becomes almost a uniform,the only choice being colour,as you said you want a 'Mr Knightley look',also rules make no allowance for height and build,not everything looks good on different people,I notice that shoe shops usually use a 7 or 8 shoe for display,what looks good in that size ( thinking...
As you have mentioned before Mr Knightley Oxfords were seen as old fashioned back in the day,I remember buying a pair of toe cap black Oxfords,I have seen them described as Officers shoes,I remember getting some stick for wearing them,but I wanted a certain look wearing them with grey sta prest and a navy blazer so I wasn't bothered,the funny thing is that now the only Oxfords that I like are the semi brogues.I think that trying for your own look is important to some...