or Connect

Posts by cerneabbas

Well I finally got my plain derby shoes with rubber soles yesterday,Loake Waverleys the same last as the Royal and although I have wondered about the toe shape of the Royal in the past I think that it looks good  on the plain version. A pity that Loake only do the Waverley in black though,I think that if they did it in Tan grain leather it would be a very nice looking shoe,and I would definitely buy a pair.
I thought the same,I am the same age as him and whilst I agreed with the adapting of school uniform with sta prest,BD and brogues I certainly don't remember the older lads asking me for style tips.
roytonboy,I am pretty sure that Brutus did some colourful tartan check ones,a red one and a blue and green one.I remember an older lad in Weymouth who worked for my relations wore a BD with pink and turquoise and white checks about 3/4" square,sounds horrible but I liked it then,not sure of make. I certainly didn't see blokes wearing clothes like the ones in "the other Margate" video, I think these blokes want to make a statement with big boots and bright colours,not sure...
I think that down here people seemed to want Levi jackets for a denim jacket, and Wrangler for cord jackets,although Levi did a stone coloured cord one and I saw a few of them being worn.
These are things of beauty and along with the Church Shannon perhaps the best of the English made plains that I have seen. Alas they are far to good ( and probably far too expensive ) for my needs..I am looking for a shoe to wear to football matches mainly,I will be wearing Farah trousers and an Aquascutum Harrington or a Barbour jacket ( navy),so I thought a nice pair of plain Derbys with dainite soles for the wet weather would fit in well.I don't want to look like an...
I was wondering what the tailors are like in HK ? I have heard conflicting reports about them,also the ability of shirt makers to copy any shirt you like,I am sure your post tour report will be interesting.
Sorry for misquoting you roytonboy.I can see what you are saying,that by the end of 71 the Mod / Skinhead period was over,and there I agree but the lads who had dressed in that style didn't just give up and become scruffs IMO. One lad from that period that I remember quite well was Tank,a tall well built rugby player who always looked smart,now I can remember him wearing 2 tone sta prest and a BD shirt and Crombie and polished brogues and looking the business,but later on...
roytonboy,the central bloke in the picture with the red pocket handkerchief and tie tack,is that the red lining of his coat pulled out of the pocket ? or is it a hankie ?. In the original picture were 2 other blokes both with longer hair ( almost Boot boy length !). One thing that I do remember about this picture when I first saw it was that I thought  "that bird isn't anywhere as good looking as Sue G",she was the best looking girl in our area who dressed in this way,now...
I think that I agree with most of this particularly where you mention the "emotional attachment" that those of us on this thread old enough to have lived at that time have for the style,however for the vast majority it probably meant very little IMO,and they were happy to move on...maybe there are a lot of former suedeheads who if pressed would say something like " I dressed like that because my mates did  but I found it a bit conservative / boring and I felt a bit daft in...
Totally agree about the Crombies,I suppose they started off with proper Crombies,then the rag trade would see a demand for cheaper versions and then very cheap versions. As flyfronted said,those were the clothes that we aspired to ( in the Crombie boy pictures),as we have seen in many pictures in this thread the reality fell well short in many cases.