or Connect

Posts by shartmann

I would not use the AE conditioner / cleaner on these. The Leeds were my first pair of shells, and I wasn't sure what product to use either. I watched the video on AE's website, where they used their condition on shell, and then applied it the same way. But it left a really dull haze that wouldn't come off, no matter how much buffing and brushing I did. I took them back to the AE store where I purchased them and showed the SA, and he ended up sending them back to AE for...
   I have had this happen twice. On one pair it wasn't all that bad so I just straightened it out with a needle nose pliers. The other was a pair of Leeds and it looked exactly like yours. Take a look, same eyelet too! I took it to a local cobbler but he suggested he would need to take the stitching out on that side and replace all the eyelets. Sounded fairly complicated, and he didn't have eyelets that matched exactly anyway, so I sent them back to AE. They fixed it...
But that's the only way I would have gotten a pair of firsts for $110.  Great shoe, and I agree it looks better than the Mojave. 
 That's a great explanation. Thanks MWS. I asked for wheeling on each of my MTO's, and when Allison mentioned "fudging" I didn't know what she meant. 
Thanks ColdIron. I too have the black shell PA, chosen based on how great your shoes looked. I did these as a "sort-of" MTO last summer (I ordered directly from Allison, but didn't really customize anything except adding a wheeled edge). I have only worn them a handful of times, but I think they look great and I am glad I have them. That said, I will likely end up wearing the burgundy more than the black. 
 These look great, I would get a pair if I could. I had the chance to do this as an MTO last summer but went with cappuccino shell instead. I like my choice, but this is a fantastic shoe.
During the outlet sale a few months ago, they had a pair of burgundy shell Park Avenues in my size of 12D. I passed on them, even though they were at a great price ($299). Then I saw some pictures posted here, by bucksfan, so I changed my mind. Too late, as now they were gone (perhaps sold to bucksfan?).   Fortunately, there was another pair available during the sale last month and I purchased them immediately. Hardly any flaws that I can see, and I think I will end up...
 They look very similar. I'd go with the "basic glazed", as someone posted a question on the AE site at the link you provided above, and this was the answer from AE: Allen Edmonds Basic Glazed Replacement Laces are simply a new and improved version of our Dawhyde Waxed Laces; both feature a waxed coating which helps to keep your laces tightly tied throughout the entire day.Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions.Allen Edmonds Customer Service
This is a great thread, thanks for setting it up Mike. It is nice to see all the excellent MTO's that have been created.    I was able to get in on this last summer while they still had walnut and cappuccino shell available. I ended up getting one of each color: walnut shell Cliftons and cappuccino shell Strands. Both had basically the same makeup:   - single Rendenbach leather sole - light brown edge with wheeling - chili welt   I really like how both of these...