or Connect

Posts by LC Nielsen

After a thorough cleaning, um, a few thorough cleanings, my shoes look great again!       The left one kept giving me trouble just above the toe, about the creases - it would get darkened and rough and dull and be unconditionable on application of cream. I'm still not sure what happened, I think it might've been wet and not having dried out completely. What eventually solved the issue was saddle soaping all cream and polish away, letting it dry out with a shoe...
Huh! Guess what. I shrugged and took some mineral spirits (drugstore gasoline, I think) and wiped them. The "spots" went away like magic. After wiping for a while and drying it, they're back to their original color - just a little bit brighter and less glossy.     What must have happened is that somehow my wax reacted with whatever the factory finished coating them with, making for bright, tan-like spots. Now they seem to be down to simple chestnut leather again,...
Yes, I got a can of C&J's neutral polish when I bought the shoes, and used that.   Okay, so I can strip them completely and re-do the finish. That's fine. I was told to do that once or twice a year anyway. How do I do it? What products do I need?
OK, on the area to the left (the bit of the leather between my fingers), I removed the (transparent) wax with bile soap, and as far as I can tell there is none left. On the area on the right, well, that's the cracked area. I'm pretty sure the chestnut color is the color of the leather finish, and the tan is the color of whatever's just beneath it.      
A single application of wax with a soft cotton cloth to a softer area causes the finish to crumble and fall apart on a pair of otherwise fine shoes? It's not just a discoloration - the finish is very visibly cracked, and very visible flaked off while applying the wax. I've had MANY leather products of varying quality over the years, but not even the very cheapest, low-quality ones were that sensitive.   I exchanged a few mails with Justin of The Shoe Snob - he thought it...
The shoemaker specifically said that there was no need to apply cream until in a while, and nothing about not applying wax to any bendable parts...   Nevertheless, it seems utterly ridiculous that the finish would be ruined by a single, excessive application of wax with a soft cotton cloth the first time. It's hardly the first pair of shoes I've polished.
OK, I'll have to stop by the shop next week.   Anyone had anything like that happen before? What could the reason for something like that happening possibly be? The finishing looks cracked and flaky... Maybe it's been sitting around post-manufacture for far too long or something?
Hey, I just got my first pair of quality shoes a few days ago - a pair of chestnut(ish) C&J.   After walking in them for a few hours each day to wear them in, I decided to apply the wax polish that came with it. I polished them up to a decent gloss (not quite the mirror shine I like, but a decent gloss), but I noticed that the finish easily flaked off at any point of stress, or any point where I'd polished a bit more. I don't have any brown shoe polish at home,...