or Connect

Posts by ovlov

So I had a chat over the phone with Mr John K. He has been tailoring for 40+ years. I was surprised to hear that his wool suits started from $850, were entirely made by him in store, but were fully fused. I thought fused canvases were a product of factory machined suiting? I asked him about a full canvas option and he told me that he used to do all full canvas, but now everything is fused. He said it is better this way and a seemed perplexed that I would ask about such an...
Thanks for the input. I was under the misunderstanding that fused suiting was a product of factory production line work, and so would never be considered in the repertoire of a a bespoke tailor. I spoke to a local guy who quote $850 as a starting price for a 'tailor made' suit. He said that he had been making the suits himself for 40+ years. When I asked him about canvas construction he said that he used to do it in the old days but now he makes everything with a fused...
Is there really such a thing as a bespoke fused canvas suit?? If so is this a warning sign to avoid that tailor?
    Thanks for the advice guys. I contacted Beg Your Pardon. They sounded very friendly and knowledgeable but a bit out of my price range. It sounded like a similar service and experience to Suit Shop, Oscar Hunt et al except there seems to be an additional premium added for being South Australian :( I haven't tried John K yet but I might give him a call.  Another interesting development. I went past a place on Torrens Rd advertising made to measure suits, I stopped in to...
Hey Everyone!   Just started lurking around these forums again for the first time in a year or so. It's great to see so many familiar faces still keeping the Aussie SF community strong.   Not sure if it's been covered here, I know there aren't to many South Aussies about, but I was saddened to note that the Sam of Jaunty Shoe Shine at Adelaide Arcade vanished a couple of months ago and now his chairs have followed suit. Anyone heard anything about him? Has he moved or...
length?
 I have no experience with purchasing from either makes (yet!) but I was fortunate enough to have a half day spare in transit through Budapest yesterday and managed to pay some local stores a visit. Unless someone with more experience contradicts me I think they prices for both brands are about the same.   Rozsnyai are just a little disingenuous with their pricing. I was in the Atilla store yesterday and was told by the salesperson that they do not charge any VAT because...
I'm about to go on a what is essentially q backpacking trip around the world. But I'm attending a wedding while away. Would it be particularly bad for my suit if I pack it in my bag with everything else and just have it pressed before the wedding and pressed again when I get back home?ie will the structure of the jacket be ruined by stuffing it in a backpack for a month?
    Hey guys. Quick interest check on this Sam Hover "vintage" (made in USA) tie. I bought it from well known vendor here on b/s but he messed up the measurements and it is way too short for me. Measurements are 9.7cm x 55". It was described as 7 fold but I can't tell for sure if it is as the tack is so low as to make it impossible to unfold. I peeked though and it looks like more than the standard 3 crammed in there. Seller has offer to take it back but I thought I...
Pics please