or Connect

Posts by ovlov

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up caving to peer pressure and picking up a pair of White CP Achilles.  That 3rd pair above are Rancourts and unfortunately it turned out that shipping to Aus was going to be absurdly expensive.
Hey peoples. Looking to pick up my first pair of CP and looking for some advice on what to get. Im not keen on white as i find it way too distracting and hard to maintain. I noticed mr porter has a pair of midnight blue 'Courts' at a solid price. I havent found much discussion on this model anywhere in theae forums. Anyone care to chime in on fit/opinion/quality? From the pictures the leather looks very different from the achilles. Why are they never mentioned on...
​I think you're right but I don't trust myself with pure white so looking for alternatives.
Thanks mate, though I think you misunderstood. My purpose is to get  single pair of versatile (as in goes with a wider variety of colours) casual sneakers. I have 5 pairs of dress shoes and some suede brogues to cover me for work and date night. I just need something for trips to the movies, bbqs, park, shopping etc.
I haven't updated my casual wardrobe beyond t-shirts and chinos in over 1 years.   I don't even have a decent pair of casual shoes.   I am looking at picking up one pair of simple versatile sneakers that i can wear with plain chinos and jeans but will hopefully be a- versatile enough to go with pretty much anything if I tart expanding my casual wardrobe; and b- inconspicuous enough so it isn't too noticable that I only have 1 pair of shoes (is this even an issue...
 So I had a chat over the phone with Mr John K. He has been tailoring for 40+ years. I was surprised to hear that his wool suits started from $850, were entirely made by him in store, but were fully fused. I thought fused canvases were a product of factory machined suiting? I asked him about a full canvas option and he told me that he used to do all full canvas, but now everything is fused. He said it is better this way and a seemed perplexed that I would ask about such an...
Thanks for the input. I was under the misunderstanding that fused suiting was a product of factory production line work, and so would never be considered in the repertoire of a a bespoke tailor. I spoke to a local guy who quote $850 as a starting price for a 'tailor made' suit. He said that he had been making the suits himself for 40+ years. When I asked him about canvas construction he said that he used to do it in the old days but now he makes everything with a fused...
Is there really such a thing as a bespoke fused canvas suit?? If so is this a warning sign to avoid that tailor?
    Thanks for the advice guys. I contacted Beg Your Pardon. They sounded very friendly and knowledgeable but a bit out of my price range. It sounded like a similar service and experience to Suit Shop, Oscar Hunt et al except there seems to be an additional premium added for being South Australian :( I haven't tried John K yet but I might give him a call.  Another interesting development. I went past a place on Torrens Rd advertising made to measure suits, I stopped in to...
Hey Everyone!   Just started lurking around these forums again for the first time in a year or so. It's great to see so many familiar faces still keeping the Aussie SF community strong.   Not sure if it's been covered here, I know there aren't to many South Aussies about, but I was saddened to note that the Sam of Jaunty Shoe Shine at Adelaide Arcade vanished a couple of months ago and now his chairs have followed suit. Anyone heard anything about him? Has he moved or...