or Connect

Posts by gimmeabreak

Thanks. Not ideal, but will work. Best.
Any plans to bring back the rudy trouser? I bought the Walt trouser, and I couldn't believe how tight they were, even after I sized up. Way too tight, (and I have neither fat nor too much muscle to blame)
Any chance to restock the silk knit ties soon?
I'm still waiting for a credible explanation of the history of the french cuff. Until then, the noseblowing one is as good as any arbitrary story told on SF. 
I'm late to the party, but the story that white shirt is "upper class" and "non-manual labor" is a bit of a legend contradicting centuries of peasant fashion: most peasant/laborer shirts were made of linen in natural or white color. The same is true of the guayabera shirts - also peasant work shirts in SE asia and latin america, and also typically in white.   Adam Smith himself spent some time explaining how a white linen shirt is an example of the absolute minimum...
Yes, virtually certain rubbish, but still fun. :)   The conventional story is that the FC evolved with the shirt, starting somewhere in the 13th century. However, I do not understand why, once the (sewn) buttons proliferated as means to fasten shirts (and any other clothing), the French Cuff persisted till now, rather than just follow the rest of the fastening innovation :)?   Perhaps it is a residue from the time when cuffs and collars used to be detachable -...
Obviously, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the story (which in all likelihood is tongue in cheek anyway), but either way, it is hilarious to contemplate that something considered to be super formal started as essentially "hygienic paper"   "the French cuff was apparently born when Napoleon ordered extra-long sleeves so that his soldiers could wipe their nose on the excess, then fold the cuff to hide the snot" Read...
For me the winner is # 1. I think it is accomplished through relatively long collar points, buttoned somewhat high (e.g. relative to #4), and somewhat spread, so the roll it pretty somewhat wide and flat on top (while preserving enough collar point length). I think it is ideal because this layout prevents two common problems with BD collars: looking too... pointy (e.g. not enough roll like in # 2), or having a roll such that they may collapse upon themselves (i suppose...
Do you guys usually size up in the HY sport coats? The chest allowances (2") seem really tight. As someone between sizes (39") i really wonder if I should go for the 38 or the 40?