or Connect

Posts by aldenwear

I think I recall The Shoe Mart listing this.  I could be wrong, however, and I have not double-checked.
It is not that hard.  You slowly move the flame toward the edge of the thread.  It will ignite - not a burning flame, more like a  glow -- before the flame touches it:  the heat will light the thread.  The thread will burn towards the shoe slowly enough that you can watch it move toward the shoe and when the glow gets close to the shoe, extinguish it.  Small threads can be difficult to cut, and I have found this to be foolproof.
Excellent explanation.  Thank you.
+1 on all. Very well put.  
It sounds like you are familiar with Alden-of-Carmel and, if so, you are aware of their wingtip boots in color 8 and black cordovan and are not interested in that or it does not have your size in stock.  But if you are not aware of that, they have that boot in various soles and that has the versatility you want.   Alden of NY has a George boot - like a chukka, but with a Monk strap across the throat and no eyelets or laces -- on Aberdeen last (making it sleeker than the...
Look fine here.  Most people's feet are different sizes and gait and footfall could effect this.     By the way, they look great.   If the shoes fit, wear them.  
I may be wrong, but I think straight tip refers to captoe blucher (open lacing) and captoe when used alone typically refers to a captoe balmoral (closed lacing).  
Personal preference is king here.     Since you apparently like NST's and captoes, the obvious choices would be to get a pair of King NSTs (meaning NSTs in color 8 cordovan).   Or you could get King captoes -- either bluchers of balmorals although the balmorals are slightly more dressy than the blucher and less dressy is probably better for you given your dress code.      If you don't mind the roundness (some say club-like) look of the PTBs, a pair of King PTBs would add...
fransboone has this exact boot, but it is in snuff suede.  
I second this emotion.  I too take an "e" width.  In barrie-lasted shoes, going up 1/2 size and using a "d" width is not perfect, but it is pretty close and, in some instances, has been very, very close.