or Connect

Posts by aldenwear

Thank you for the nomenclature information. There was no mention by the original poster of either of his options including a shoe in patent leather.  While not explicit, it was pretty clear he was asking about the captoe balmoral v. wholecut in black calf or, I suppose, cordovan.  
Regarding the blucher v. balmoral classification and the Carmina wholecut's classification in that system:  I appreciate the information supplied and I particularly appreciate Junior taking the time and effort to find and post the pictures from oldleathershoe.com and otherwise.  I am going to do some searches to better understand how wholecuts are balmorals and not bluchers.  I certainly get it that if a blucher requires open lacing and open lacing requires the additional...
This has got nothing to do with "tradition," "respect," or "gratitude"  or any generational divide.  It should not be controversial that one can appreciate the importance of respect and gratitude, and demonstrate these qualities, without playing along with this uncle/nephew -- I will be polite here -- eccentricity.  If others want to play along with it, have at it.  But it is an odd practice, and, I think, imminently understandable that the convention discourages some...
No, according to Alden there is more to it than this.  It says that whiskey, no. 4  and ravello are lighter in color and must be used with shells with less coloration than the darker colors which can cover up imperfections.  So fewer shells qualify for exotic make-ups.   It is hard for me to understand this justification for cigar which, in the cigar shells I have, look no less dark than color 8.  Perhaps, however, cigar is lighter than color 8 enough to require the...
kinda. Uncle Fester, right? And there is another dude that pops up every now andthen who dubs himself Grandfather. I am sure there Iis a Dog father lurking around here too.amidst this peculiarity, however, is a very informative forum that is one of the most civil and helpful net fora you would hope to participate in. I hope you participate and enjoy it.
opinion seems to be running against me about oxford/blucher, but isn't the cap toewith closed lacing and thus Oxford and the whole cut open lacing and thus a blucher?
The whole cut, which is a type of plain toe Blucher.
if you are serious about having a need to wear the black shoes to formal events you should get the plain toe blucher. It will work well with suits and you can wear it with a tux. If you wear the cap toewith a tux you look like a guy who does not know the difference between business and semi-formal.
(1) if Simpson -- a narrow last -- is just right for you, Rain -- a medium-width last -- and Inca -- a wide last -- will likely not fit you well at all.   (2) the price for shoes that fit is a great price.