or Connect

Posts by Mr Knightley

Let's put that on the Agenda for 31 July!
Good points!But thinking about the early drugstore crowd, on the face of it those constraints would have been less obvious. They were generally well off, well connected and clearly aware of US and English brands.What about the paninaro look? Anyone have any info? I was an avid reader of L'Uomo Vogue in those days but regrettably no longer have them.The Look goes on...
I agree!  Pubs nearby? Skinny Legs PM'ed me to recommend the Red Lion just off Jermyn Street, which is great but quite small and often crowded.  Monsieur - where did you have in mind going in The Smoke?  I think we should fit in around you!
It would be great to meet you...
Yes, welcome browniecj! 'Even now though I use Suedehead as a starting point in my ideas about clothes / shoes I wouldn't buy split toe Gibsons,maybe if someone gave me a pair of Allen Edmonds ones I would wear them but there are other styles that I prefer and would buy first,nothing wrong with them though.' That sums up my view too but back then (in early 1970) they were very aspirational, perhaps because they were rare. Or was it rather a case of admiring them but...
They are pretty fine but in the flesh do not appear as sheer.I like going sock-less but only on off-duty days. The English boardroom is still not quite ready IMO.
That was too anal cov! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_shoe In lay terms it's just a Derby.
 That’s very interesting stuff.I had always assumed that wingtip was an American name for a shoe with broguing because the way the shoes are designed, whether Oxford or Derby / Blucher, whether long or short wing, the brogue pattern on the front normally resembles the wings of a bird.BTW I have a pair of Cheaney Derby brogues that are called ‘gibsons’ by Cheaney, further confusing things.Back in the day we used to call our Royals just that. We would say Royal brogue,...
An alternative to the sockless look for business?  I bought a few pairs of these 'Filo Scozia' OTC socks in Palermo earlier this month in a range of dark colours.  Very cool.  
I'm not very regular on here.  I still struggle with the idea of a sockless formal outfit.  I know its been around since the 80s (at least) in Italy but living in these damp islands it looks wrong to my eyes. Having said that I am, on an off-duty day, just about to go out in AE loafers and no socks...