or Connect

Posts by TH3515

Very cool boot - kick zombies in style! From the first picture you posted above (the frontal view) the toe box almost looked like a swing last to me – in a good way. I guess that the many layers of material around the toe (2x celastic, bullhide cap, lining + the CXL vamp) add up to give the front of the boot more perceived volume. 
More like the thickest. Black Rough-Out is the same as black oil tan aka "black smooth", but used the other way around (with the rough flesh side facing outwards). It's among the thickest, strongest leathers White's is offering, and the default leather for all their "real" workboots.I think Break-in depends not so much on the leather type as ist depends on correct fit and sizing. If your new boots fit well, there will be almost no break-in discomfort. If something's not...
^ Nice find. BTW All boots are described by the seller as having "very little wear", which is a bit optimistic on most pairs but especially for the Farmer-Ranchers - those look pretty much f#*•~d 😊 The hikers are interesting - they are either very old or heavily customised (or both). The Centennial Hiker boots usually have a one-piece Vibram lug sole, whereas the boots in the listings have a stacked heel / half sole combo like a semi-dress (sharp looking but not ideal for...
 Beautiful boots! The BT has a wonderful, silky shimmer and the double midsole looks hot. How does it feel walking on it? Is it more uncomfortable than a single midsole? Interestingly, the British Tan on your pair looks darker and more reddish than my BT Semi Dress, and that difference seems greater than what could be attributed to lighting, white balance etc. I added a pic of my BT Semi Dress, it's the captoe boot on the right (the other one is a brown oil tan SJ):  It...
^^ Three times on the same boot or twice on one side and once on the other? Did you check the eyelets and hooks fir any sharp edges that may have damaged the laces? White's have the best hooks and eyelets of all boots I've seen, but I've seen this happen with other boots and there's no reason it couldn't happen on a pair of White's. That said, the laces do vary a lot. On my Smokejumpers, one is starting to become noticeably thinner while the other seems to hold up well.
The finest waxed cotton laces I have encountered came with my two pairs of Timberland Eastern Standard Boots. The boots were made by Rancourt & Co in Maine, and I believe I read somewhere that they sourced the laces in the USA. They are very finely and tightly woven, which gives them a very firm structure that feels a bit like a half cooked linguine. They are relatively thin but very wear resistant – the material doesn't fray like other woven laces.   It is possible...
^+1: The standard laces that come with the SD are ridiculous. Thin, flimsy, hard to tie securely. I switched my british tan SDs to leather laces (same type as in the other White's boots), which give a much better fit. The look is different of course – a bit less dressy, but in my eyes again better than with the original laces.
I guess that's purely a matter of taste – I would prefer the bison with its unique texture, it makes the Roan look almost boring in comparison. I have not handled the Roan personally, but (from the pictures) would expect it to be a bit stiffer than the Bison – which again is a matter of taste. 
^nice leather combo as well (bullhide x water buffalo?) That heel though: vibram 100 + double mid + half slip add up to a pretty enormous height;-)
^ Not really...the screenshots are almost impossible to read;-) Nevertheless, I tried to re-create your build and now Bakers is only 35$ more.   The difference in the examples above comes from the celastic toe, which is 35$ extra in the Bounty Hunter build on Baker's but comes at no extra price on buildaboot. To add to the confusion, I built the same boot on Baker's website but started with a Custom Smokejumper instead of the Bounty Hunter. All details are identical...