or Connect

Posts by Tyto

Within the next year or so: Pentax K10D or, more likely, its successor Pentax DA* 16-50/2.8 Pentax DA* 50-135/2.8 Two replacement suits--one each navy and charcoal Something really nice for Mrs. Tyto--I have my eye on a custom jewelry piece Within the next 5 years: New house (4 bdrm) Honda Pilot or Odyssey (hybrids?), unless. . . . Something really, really nice for Mrs. Tyto Pure fantasy: A house in West LA, preferably the Palisades or Los Feliz, but Santa...
If we're limited to the living, I'd add Richard Posner, William Gibson, Richard Dawkins (though he's getting tiresome), Gary Kasparov.
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter hard to avoid - my son calls people Mr. John or Mrs Cathy, because a lot of adults just say something like "oh, call me John". I don't want to say "no, I don't want my kid to call you John, I want him to call you by your last name and tittle". most kids are used to calling adults by their first name today, in teh places I have lived. Several of my friends have taught their kids always to use a...
Quote: Originally Posted by whodini One of the guys on shark week recommended that if a shark comes toward you to attempt to meet it half way. The theory was that if you tried to swim away that you became prey but if you tried going for it, it would become nervous as if being attacked and get away. I'm a little skeptical of a couple of the "experts." During one break, one of the experts was (poorly) describing the evolution of shark repellant,...
Quote: Originally Posted by whodini These guys are fairly common here in CR and are notorious in Nicaragua. The other problem with bull sharks is that they frequently venture into freshwater. One of the reasons they're so notorious in much of South America is their propensity for attacks in rivers and interior lakes. Did anyone see the Shark Week special last night on the USS Indianapolis? According to that show, the current thinking is...
Quote: Originally Posted by JBZ We go through the exact same thing with our 3 year old. He knows he's supposed to say "please" and "thank you", but he has to be prompted every time. What's even funnier is that our 18 month old always says "thank you" (it comes out "hankee") without prompt. Of course, he also says "uh-oh" for no reason, so there you go. Our then-18-month old went through a period of saying thank you ("day doo") every time he...
Quote: Originally Posted by Nantucket Red Blue sharks are the most beautiful and spooky. +1. Incredibly graceful. My only encounter (that I know of) with any shark was seeing one from a canoe off of the Oregon coast. No real desire to get closer.
Quote: Originally Posted by Sabrosa Thanks for all your help Mute, and everyone else. One more question about shooting from the beach. Even though I won't be in the water, is there anything that is necessary to protect the camera and lens in this sort of environment? I can't imagine that sand or saltwater are very good for photography equipment, and I would like to protect is as best I can. Would I need to get a UV filter for the...
Quote: Originally Posted by BrettChaotix I'm on the left-coast visiting friends in Humbolt County and we are going to be driving into SF on Friday and hanging out till I catch my plane on Sunday. I think our days are pretty busy but we need something to do at night. He's a stoner from Arcata, I'm more of a city-person. We're looking for bars/lounges (neither of us are up for "clubbing") or a good concert (reggae, punk, ska, indie). We want to keep it...
Quote: Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe I guess the Ferrari's are showing that you can't quite count them out this season. I've been away from F1 for a little over a year, but two years ago Ferrari's cars were simply in a class of their own--by a large margin. Did they somehow fall behind on the performance curve, or is the departure of their drivers (M.S. especially) the primary factor? Edit: Not that Raikkonen is a slouch--I always...