or Connect

Posts by Tyto

Quote: Originally Posted by G79 Thanks everyone, I got her a Gucci handbag, and heck i might throw in a trinket inside that should get her excited! Thanks to all again. Ah, so you went with your gut. Good call: it seems to have served you well up to this point.
PM sent.
Quote: Originally Posted by G79 Hey Tyto, thank you for the kind counsel, Shes coming down in 7 days (i havent seen her in 3 months) and she will be spoiled to the best of my means but I know that she considers birthdays as a big thing (This is her first birthday since we started going out) and so I dont want to strike out. Thanks again G Okay, 7 days--great. Find a concert of some kind that you know she'll like. I still think symphony...
Quote: Originally Posted by G79 Thanks Tyto, just a quick little detail - She lives 8000 miles away ! Sigh... The first thing that came to mind was a Gucci purse.. but I'm debating it How soon after her birthday will you see her in person? If relatively soon, get her a little something (truly little), and spend the real money on an activity when you see her.
Quote: Originally Posted by G79 Gfts in the past include : Etro and Cavali wallets Irish claddagh ring (as a promise ring) Poems written for her Candle lit dinners Photo frames with our pictures in it Wallet cards and the kinds... And since you mentioned bracelets has anyone got anything from citivogue.com ? Thanks G Judging from your list, and assuming your GF liked all of them, your instincts seem very good. What is the...
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter I am not giving a blanket defense of all blackwater employees - I think that anyone found guilty of murder should be punished. I think that these guys are not getting anywhere near the level of objectivity that they deserve in considring whether or not they are guity, though. Globe, do you see a lack of objectivity as a good case for subjecting Blackwater to the UCMJ (or, at least, certain provisions of...
Quote: Originally Posted by oscarthewild Maybe AF is unclear about which branch of the govt is entrusted with making and changing laws. There are limits to executive privilege. The attorney general cannot summarily make new laws. I don't think AF is unclear--I think he believes that the President, as CinC, has more influence on military policy regarding certain matters, as well as more influence over CIA policy (it is an agency subject to his...
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan The torture stories seem to always leave out the estimate of how many lives may have been saved from information obtained. Well, we definitely won't agree on your rationale, but I bet we can agree that the frequent leaks of classified memos can't be good for national security. I'd actually like to know about things like torture and rendition, because I want to know when a lacuna exists between stated...
For ska revival, The English Beat--except for their album W'Happen--is the alpha and the omega. General Public weren't bad, but weren't nearly as good as, and were much more poppy than, English Beat. +1 on Get Smart's assessment of Operation Ivy.
Quote: Originally Posted by Eason So, $15,000 is what a human life is worth. The short, slightly brutal answer is that it depends on the life. We place specific monetary values on specific lives in this country all the time: the amounts are generally based on detailed actuarial tables regarding age, location of residence, occupation, socioeconomic status, health, etc. Also, in this case, there was some concern that a large payment could...