or Connect

Posts by Tyto

I don't habitually carry a lighter, but in addition to the other items you mention, I carry a money clip, usually in my left trouser pocket, and I carry my cell phone in the hidden waist pocket of my jacket. If out on business, I'll keep a small leather card holder in my right breast pocket, or if I'm not wearing a pocket square, I'll keep the cards in my display pocket and my visor edge (think Palm Pilot, only thinner) in my right breast pocket. Keys and change go in...
One of my favorite whites--Cambria Vineyards' Katherine's Chardonnay--goes for $12.99-$21.99, depending on where you buy. For budget reds: * I've been impressed with many of the Chilean wines (no particular label remembered--sorry) * Coppola's Claret is a good value for $12.99 * Blackstone Merlot (the Napa bottling) can be had for as low as $8.99. * Rabbit Ridge Zinfandel, usually around $11. Also, I tried Coppola's "Rosso" red table wine for cooking, based on a...
Quote: Have any of you LA area guys been to the Old World in Huntington Beach?  That place was almost exactly like Bavaria/Austria, the food was very similar as well.  I'm really used to that type of environment being from WI (heavily German, lots of such places) but haven't seen it in Cali at all. I've never been, but I've heard of it. Another place is the Black Forest Inn in Santa Monica--on Wilshire, somewhere around 15th, I think. I enjoy it,...
Quote: Those two Vietnamese places you mentioned are both quite good, I think there is a bit better Viet food in the Westminster/GG area though. There's quite a few places here in OC that I'm fond of, I'll post something when I have time. I think you and I agree--I meant Little Saigon in Westminster. Too many places to name, really. I just steer by landmark down there ("Okay, there's Phuc Loc Tho... so we want to go east and then north..."), but when...
Quote: Stan's Doughnuts http://www.stansdoughnuts.com [can place an order online, but if the doughnut's don't (eventually) kill you, the shipping charges will] Ah, Stan's. Good variety, and if you hit them near closing time, they practically give away their remaining doughnut holes. Another Westwood icon is Diddy Riese on Broxton, just south of Leconte--the best cookies I've ever eaten, for $0.35 (or $0.50 for macadamia nut). For $1.25, they'll make...
Quote: Dim-Sum: Sam Woo's in San Gabriel Square is a good place for an inexpensive and authentic dim-sum. Probably the best dim-sum restaurant in the LA area in my opinion is Sea Harbour restaurant on Rosemead and Valley.  Quite expensive, but has nice delicacies such as shark fin and lobster dumplings, etc. In the greater LA area, I don't think you can talk about Dim Sum without mentioning NBC Seafood in Monterey Park/El Sereno (I forget...
Quote: I have been looking for an excuse to carry a tasteful silver cigarette case. I don't smoke, but I've always been intrigued by the process, paraphernalia, and smells of a good pipe, and I love browsing tobacco shops. Often have I been tempted to try a pipe, but I feel as if the last thing I need is another, potentially expensive vice. Nevertheless, I used to own a '50s Zippo, and I'm looking for a replacement. There isn't much smoking in Los...
Thanks for the thread. By way of introduction, I'm 5'7", about 130, and take a 36S jacket, 28 or 29 waist, and a 7 1/2 wide shoe. Suits ----- As far as BB, I visited the Beverly Hills store last week and the boys' Brooksease 18H and 20 jackets fit me in the shoulders, although they were still about 1.25-1.5 inches too long. The problem is the pants: the mens' 30' pants, suitably altered, are probably the best bet, but I hated the drape and feel of them. The BB boys' ties...
Manton is dead-on about shoulder width--A salesman once tried to convince me to buy a jacket that made me look like a horrible marriage of Wellington and DeVito. The few suits I own have a fair bit of padding, though, and it definitely works, although I like the feel of a more natural shoulder and will probably go in that direction. I'm 5'7" and a 36 short, as well. Oh, to be able to fit into a 38: the options at 38 grow exponentially. As it is, I can't seem to find...
I've a strong preference for Windsor spreads when I wear a tie, and BD for when I go without. I've a very narrow face, and I find that the moderate spreads work much better for me than other styles. ---Tyto