or Connect

Posts by Tyto

Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt I had breakfast with a friend this morning who is currently house shopping in the 1.5-2m range. He said that he and his wife put bids in on two places last week. Both units received over 20 offers and sold for 300k over asking. Bizarre in this RE environment. Actually, this is pretty common. Although the late unpleasantness is hammering low- to middle-value properties (in CA, basically the sub-$600K...
Quote: Originally Posted by globetrotter ok, so here is something that, when used for about half a minute, gets badguys to start talking. it is non -lethal and leave no permenent damage. it requires no major capital investment. so why the fuck aren't we using it more often? Well, it took that little time for the recent guy and some other recent guys, but even aside from that, at least the following problems remain: 1. It's still torture...
Friends of mine who know steak very well like and buy Omaha steaks for themselves and others. It's almost like buying someone a truly good steak dinner, except that Omaha may be worlds better than anything available locally, and you can achieve perfection on the cooking. One caution: check the portion sizes carefully. OS is generally a good value, but some of their package deals are less substantial than the price might lead you to believe.
Quote: Originally Posted by Artisan Fan Or that I am not privy to the actual evidence for security reasons. I believe this to a point, but it's not at all clear that sufficient evidence exists for many of the detainees--and some facts tend to show otherwise. Some of the reasons Boumediene (you can listen to oral arguments here, but I don't know where the briefs are) made it to the Supreme Court were that no evidence was frequently presented at...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fabienne what was that I heard on NPR this morning about destroyed C.I.A. Torture Tapes? A few years back, the CIA taped some waterboarding sessions of terror suspects. They later realized that maybe these tapes might create some . . . ambivalence among politicians and the general public, and enquired with the White House about protecting them from discovery. Harriet Miers, then-White House-counsel, told them not to...
Quote: Originally Posted by Get Smart The best recent episode for me was the one where Bart enters the Robot War with his robot, which was actually Homer inside operating a metal robot costume fighting real robots that had weapons of destruction. It hasnt been great in years but I still watch it. Yeah, that was the best episode in a long time. I especially liked Frink's ED-209 programmed according to Asimov's three laws of robotics, "with...
I might be able to get free either night. I'll be dressed like a slob, though.
Quote: Originally Posted by bachbeet Cream - Spoonful (Wheels of Fire version) Yes. Also: Hawkmoon 269, All I Want is You, and Bad (U2) Bell Bottom Blues (Derek and the Dominos)
Quote: Originally Posted by Huntsman We like have one mind on whisky or something, Tyto. ~ Huntsman Spooky, isn't it? What are those '93 Murray McDavids? I've always been intrigued by the third-party bottlings--until pretty recently, they were the only way you could get Caol Ila in the U.S.
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Did you see the AHM chart? Something like that. Probably those are worth $.30 on the dollar. On BBB- it could even be less. Maybe fifteen cents. Interesting--I would've thought those lower tranches would be worth even less, especially after rate freezes are granted on the at-risk ARMs. Quote: I think a lot of money can be made in subprime. If you got hit 10 or so per cent, you could...