or Connect

Posts by Tyto

Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad That's old news. I recall reading quite some time ago that Dyskstra used steroids to bulk up for his last year with the Mets to pump up his free agent value. He ended up hitting something like twice his career average in home runs, as I recall. "Now, I did not know that." Too bad.
Quote: Originally Posted by eg1 I played D&D from the original box-set, which I suppose makes me the nerd-father I have not, however, played "live D&D" or any of its perverse variants, nor have I ever played MUDs and their offspring, the MMORPGs. As for grammar corrections, I am a pedant. I like to think, however, that I have some sense of humour about it. +1 on all of the above. I've probably spent years in total tabletop gaming time,...
Quote: Originally Posted by farfisa23 There is a waiting game in some areas in SF and most of the rest of Cali. As the Alt-A and Prime Jumbo Arms reset to the higher LIBOR rates they are pinned to, combined with the ongoing credit crunch, you will see prices in the lower range and mid-range depress more. If it goes up, it will come down. Your 750,000 loft will be 500,000. Figure this, 500,000 - 20% = non-jumbo loan under 417K. Simple and easier to...
Quote: Originally Posted by JBZ It was a reference to television commercials that Southwest airlines has been running for awhile. Something embarrassing happens to the person in the commercial, at which point a voice over asks "Wanna get away?". The premise being that you can "get away" on Southwest airlines. Fairly lame on my part, I'll admit. When I first read that I forgot about Southwest and flashed back to the Calgon commercials...
Is anyone else surprised that Len Dykstra is on that list?
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad My wife is far nicer and more charming than I am, so we would visit homes sold by older couples and feature my wife in portraying us as the nice younger couple they would really love to pass the house on to. Well played. I think the "young first-time buyers" effect worked in our favor, as well; the folks we bought from never had children and were over 20 years our senior.
Quote: Originally Posted by lawyerdad That's certainly the theory. Back when we were house-hunting I'd see this from time to time in LA. I had a firm rule of walking away from any property where it became evident that strategy was being employed. We had the same rule. The bidding had a way of getting totally out of hand. I still believe were able to get into our house partly because we submitted an offer the morning the house went on the...
<--- The genus for barns owls. Got the barn owl nick back in college for spending late nights in the labs, but somehow "barn owl" or "owl" is always taken in places like this.
Quote: Originally Posted by JBZ This almost always ends well for the seller, especially if you get a really motiviated buyer who "absolutely must have" your house. Hence, Rule #1 of residential real estate: don't fall in love with the house.
Quote: Originally Posted by dkzzzz Credit means little if you alredy closed on Chicago condo. Fraud, is a much more serious problem, if in fact it is fraud. I am just wondering if this is doable in his situation, while staying within the law. Laying the necessity of good credit aside, and assuming Spertia doesn't want to make another major credit purchase or refinance within the next 7 years, "staying within the law" is a problem, especially...