or Connect

Posts by Canadian

I give my MLA a bottle of Canadian Club and a gift basket for his wife every year. He isn't a boss and I'm sure giving liquor to your Congressman in the USA is illegal, but he's a friend and I never know when he might help with employment or a project. That said, if you can tie it to a Christmas gift, go for it. It's not like you're arranging for a pound of weed, but it is probably unethical unless you can tie it to a holiday gift. Also, be sure to give something to...
The worst questions/statements come from my favorite low priced eatery where I am a regular:. "I'm X, do you know where the washrooms are" (First thing they say). "I'm Y, we've got a new fall feature menu, it's on the first page, ABC is delicious". "Good choice, and will you gentlemen be joined by any ladies tonight?" "That is an excellent drink. Would you like it as a double?" "Let me see if I can find your reservation" (When they're seating walk-ins with no...
Corny as this sounds: Box of cigars. Unopened. On a regular basis, be sure to slip your underlings a box as a reward for a job well done. It's the classy version of a Starbucks card, especially among men. Tea. Keep a small box with lots of different kinds. Herbal tea can be a godsend if you're working the 18-hour workday. Bottle of Advil, antacids, caffeine pills, sleep aids. Bible. You would be amazed how many people want to share their only passion, and for many...
I once had a job reviewing documents to be placed on a VIPs desk. We had a code. X was "read", Y was "scan" and Z was "I read it, I'll fill you in if it comes up". Ideally Z happens a lot, X minimally and you get the chance to show off what a smart feller you are. And maybe the VIP will ask you to start sitting in on meetings, acting as a personal or administratve assistant. Seriously, one of the VIPs needed a tuxedo jacket before a reception (Blue Jeans and Black Tie)...
I have a B.A in poly sci, some post-grad in Marketing and am working on a Masters of Theology. I know exactly what I want to do, that is raise money and participate in Mission activities. I'm Anglican, not LDS and my Church has a huge demand for people with my skill set. If I wasn't intent on getting the MTS, I could be sleeping under a palm tree, teaching English and the Gospel right now in some far off island. I worked for the government for about 6 weeks. Terrific job,...
I drove an 04 Saturn for a few years. It's a decent car if she's small (I'm 6'4" so it was a bit of an inconvience.). Get the 4-door not the suicide doors so you can actually fit 4 passengers in. After a few years (I bought it brand new) it just started having problems. Batteries, brakes, starter. If these things have been dealt with, it's a good choice. Tom
I have sold commercial printing since I was about 17. My dad owns a firm with 22 employees, counting me. It's very cut-throat. I'll transfer a call to the sales manager, and he'll say, "Why should I talk to this person. Does he know me". So he's a little arrogant and still treats me like a kid. I have found that if you make yourself available for odd hours, you have a good chance of becoming a section leader. Tom
I have an 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It cost about 10k CDN. Do not buy one. My old (04) Buick was terrific. I drove it from 04 to 2011 and I only got rid of it because somebody totaled it while I was parked. I got off work, went to my car and saw it was totally smashed up. Luckily they left a note. Actually, they left a number of their grandfather. We phoned him up, explained what had happened and he said, "Tell me, was it a beater car?". It was worth substantially more than...
I get about a sixty percent success figure. Sometimes I'll end up with something damaged beyond easy repair, or where they lied about size. However, if you know your size and stick to NWT suits and jackets, I have good luck. The last suit I bought needs a new zipper, because I'll stand up and suddenly my crotch is on display. Anyhow, it's a crapshoot. Thomas
I wouldn't. There are certain undefined guidelines concerning people new to a workplace. Learn them, before you start dressing like you own the place. Example, I worked in politics. As a legislative assistant, I was told to be conservative and boring. So almost every day I wore one of my four suits. On Fridays I'd wear a blazer and tie with chinos (although I once got in trouble from a co-worker for wearing khakis with too much break). Research brand was known for...