or Connect

Posts by roytonboy

Clouseau - it wasn't that we didn't wear checked shirts (I had 5 in 1970 ,a variety of checks and gingham) the point that I was making was that they were not often worn with braces showing. Usually they would be covered by a v-neck sweater (initially usually a sleeveless, later by long sleeved) or maybe by a jacket. The braces showing thing was more 'early skinhead' and done with plain or pale striped shirts (in our area, BD collar). Aces and Eights - I agree with your...
 Thanks, ThinkSmart, very interesting and most informative.
 Thanks for the tip elwood, I watched it on 'catch up' last night. (was watching something else on Wednesday.....) It was enjoyable, though I thought it veered from the 'tribes' theme rather a lot. The Small Faces footage was really interesting, I would imagine that most of us would recognise their image as being 'Mod' but I wonder how it was viewed by those early Mods of 1963-64. Quite a different look to that worn in photos of Del and Gill Evans, for example. Perhaps the...
 Gsvs5 - In actual fact, most people who go out to the sorts of places we've been speaking of don't try and dress as if they are 16. Some, like Brownie and myself will dress a certain way for some events because we feel it is appropriate and it adds to the occasion. I would say that more men than women do that. In my experience there are very few women in their 50's who dress like it is 1970 or whatever year they were 16. Having said that there are plenty of women aged 50+...
  Not, I should add, because I consider myself a particularly stylish dresser, it is more that I find that people will appreciate it if you make a bit of an effort. At work, lots of colleagues don't wear a jacket or even a tie. Some wear 'chino' type pants, so in comparison, I look straight out of 'Mad Men!' In a club, it's not difficult to look 'smart' when the majority are wearing jeans.
 Gsvs5 - I'm not the best person to answer this but I'll give you my take on it.. You are correct to recognise that some of our number are Skinheads or Mods. They are very committed to the style and virtually live their life as if it were 1968-1971. They are far more knowledgeable about the period in terms of what was worn where and when than I was at the time, indeed one of them has said he views it almost as an academic study - he wants to know everything possible. They...
 Sorry cerneabbas, I can't tell. Funny you should mention about Sue G. I have a similar story. There was a young skinhead girl at school (a couple of years younger than me). When passing her in the corridor she would always glance my way (sometimes more than a glance). Although I was quite shy and not very confident around girls, I knew what that look meant. However, I was 16, she was 14, it was in school, da de da.....Shortly after I had  left that school she turned up...
 "I do agree that there are some threads right up to Boot Boy"  is not exactly saying they had little in common with what went on before. I certainly agree agree that lads of this appearance took up the mantle of the football hooligan of the time and the Doc Martens were one carry over from that. The point I have been trying to make is that it is that I regard this period (1972 onwards)  as the time that things deviated from the Mod culture of smart dressing, styled hair,...
 Sorry cerneabbas, I meant to respond to this one days ago. Some lads were wearing their Harrington jackets inside out in 1971. The first I heard of the Ulster tartan gangs was on a TV programme in 1972. They were described of having 'an extreme skinhead style' and the wearing of tartan was in recognition with their Scottish links. The youth club shown had Rangers banners on the wall. It was only a year later when chatting to a lad from Northern Ireland that I discovered...
   This comment couldn't be said of the Boot Boys!