or Connect

Posts by roytonboy

I think Steve McQueen is a great example of the issues we've been discussing. Not of true 'Ivy League' culture, he borrowed some of the look to develop his own style. He was not a devotee of Ivy as he did not slavishly follow the look and wore many other types of clothes. Surely this is the essence of Mod through to Suedehead - we adopted and adapted those items that suited us at a particular moment in time, regardless of where the origins of those influences arose. 
 Clouseau - I must admit that I don't understand the difference between 'Ivy League Style' and 'Preppy'. I'm sure someone on here can enlighten me!
 Isn't this a bit of a contradiction?  He also states that after Elvis Presley wore it in the film 'Kid Creole' in 1958 it crossed over to main street and became an American Staple. So ... British Golf jacket ------American Celebrity Golf clothing ---------Ivy League apparel ----------- American main street staple ---------- Soap star wear --------Mod and Skinhead icon.  Cross - fertilisation indeed!!
 The Harrington jacket is an interesting case in point. Originally designed and manufactured in the North West of England in the 1930s (Some dispute as to whether it was Manchester, Burnley or Stockport who produced the very first) named the baracuta jacket. It became popular in the US as a golf garment. It was also worn by Elvis Presley, James Dean and Frank Sinatra, none of whom, as far as I'm aware, with Ivy League college connections or were particular devotees of the...
   Prior to writing my submission yesterday I got up early and watched Animal House - I had forgotten just how funny it was - corny, immature, unsophisticated and at times slapstick humour, but how I laughed!  
 Apologies, I misread that bit. You make a very valid point about 'rejection' . One article I read mentioned the fact that Brooks Brothers, a clothes retailer in New York, was fundamental in the establishment of the Ivy League look - they first introduced the sack jacket for instance - however, not all of Brooks Brothers stock was adopted by the campus elite. As Brook Brothers was based in New York, they also catered for a business clientele and these items were by...
  Gsvs5 and Botolph -thanks for your perspective, most interesting. So, keeping the subject bang 'on topic', did Mods, Skinheads and Suedeheads dress in the Ivy League style? The answer would seem to be yes ....... but also, to a greater degree, no. To examine this (in my case, very much second hand) We need firstly to establish what Ivy League Style is and then decide to what degree it has been adopted, adapted or cherry picked by followers of those British styles. What...
  Cool outfit - but is it Ivy League? Brownie - Your reference to a cravat made me smile - unfortunately, the thought of a cravat always brings to mind Terry Thomas and Lesley Phillips -  "Hellow". A look that none of us would have thought either cool or smart when we were young. My guess is though, that it was far closer to the Ivy League style than we were as Mods or Skinheads! I'm just posing the questions here, I don't know the answers!
 browniecj - that's very interesting and I'm sure you would have been one of very few people who would have truly appreciated it. (I'm sure many would think that he was 'smart' or 'stylishly' dressed without recognising what the inspiration was). This got me thinking - I have an idea of what is meant by Ivy League style, but not much more than that, so over the week-end I did a little research and low and behold, some of what I thought was true, but much wasn't. I think I...
 What did he have on?