or Connect

Posts by roytonboy

I never posted this one at the time as I didn't feel it was relevant to the forum, however recent post made me think it might be of interest. (All four were originally written 14 years ago for the 'Royton Rag' - a fanzine type publication which has since become defunct. Hence, the number of mention of Royton, Oldham and individual names and places in all four of the articles.           When I was 17, it was a very good year…   The first in a series of articles...
  I think the reason you could tell was there were certain items of clothing or style that were exclusively associated with skinheads. BD check shirts and turned up jeans would be examples - in fact in our area the only people to wear Wrangler jeans were skinhead types, as I recall. Thus, no matter what a girl's hairstyle, certain clothes would give her a 'skinhead' identity. Only ever heard the terms 'Skinhead girl' or 'Skinhead bird' at the time and none of these other...
 Thanks Gsvs5 - yes, it certainly did. It's still played at matches to this day! Elwood - aren't the 10cc lads from your neck of the woods?
 Well there you go - I've always understood it to be: Top: AlwaysMiddle: SometimesBottom: Never Therefore the above drawing is accurate, at least from the perspective of North West England. This was certainly how we wore our blazers and suit jackets, complete with one hand in the pocket!
Some well reasoned points from everyone - maybe that discussion was needed. Having seen photos and video clips of you con man, I never doubted that you were true to the original style - I couldn't really picture you with part shaven, part pink haired, pierced bird on your arm who was wearing fish-nets and 10 hole cherry reds.    I shall continue to read and post when and if I feel I have anything useful to contribute.     M-o-M  - I had a chat with Little Queenie...
 Because my ignorance of any era other than my own would quickly become very apparent!
 I must admit con man that is how I have always viewed it. When I first stumbled across the site a little over two and a half years ago all the posts seemed to be about that era - photos of original skinhead girls from Bunty and Ed, the story of his youth from Gsvs5 and comments from others who had clearly been there at the time. When I started posting it was all in relation to that era and the responses I received were of a similar nature. Had that not been the case I...
 The middle  pair that M-o-M posted look very nice - brown with toe caps, though I'm guessing they are quite expensive.
M-o-M - I have learned a lot from some posters too ...... my comments were more about that minority who appear to disregard the posts of others, only to post something similar a few days later as the if the original post had not been made (or conversely a few days later post a different point of view as a statement of fact, again with no reference to the original, in effect dismissing it) I know I am not alone in finding this a bit disrespectful - especially when it has...
 And therein lies the rub....... the site was originally set up for traditional skinheads. I think I'm right in saying that the original title said as much but the word 'skinhead' wasn't welcomed by the parent 'Style Forum' so a new title of 'Mod to Suedehead' was introduced to indicate that it covered style from a specific period in time (i.e. roughly 1967-1972) I have no doubt this is what brought people like Lastye, Mr. Knightly, Browniecj, Bob the Badger, Pressure...