or Connect

Posts by roytonboy

Quite true. I think it's fair to say that I came into 'skinhead' and subsequent youth fashion from an entirely different direction to your good self Mr. K!
 Me too!
 Ah, the truth - one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Which is the truth? It's all about perspective, which is shaped by age, personal experience, locality, peer group.(and in this case, memory!) Sometimes 'facts' are passed from one individual to another and accepted as the truth though they may not be true at all. By the time someone is writing a book decades later, those incorrect 'facts' become 'truths' in their memory bank. I remember reading...
 During the 70's changes were gradual to us, but looking back, they happened quite quickly. Using myself as an example: Autumn 1969 - 'Early' skinhead - Levis, heavy brown boots with commando soles, plain BD, Fairisle v neck sleeveless. Top coat, Parka (with fur round the hood) Autumn 1970 - 'classic' skinhead - Levi's, Doc Martens, (or sta - prest and tan brogues depending on event) Check BD, Sleeveless v neck, Levi Jacket - Top coat, Fly fronted Mac. Autumn 1971 -...
During the 70's I first heard 'Queen' on a friend's 8-Track. Yesterday on the radio they announced it was the anniversary of Freddie Mercury's death. How long? TWENTY FIVE YEARS! I couldn't believe it.... where's that gone?
 During the 70's young men may have regarded Old Spice as a bit old fashioned but whilst wear it I felt I was so fisticated! In order to maintain a modern image, soon after Brut brought out their 'splash on' product, so did Old Spice - "Splash it on all over, 'Enry"
 During the 70's I don't recall seeing fairisle yoke jumpers either but I do remember 'Jester' jumpers and 'Football' jumpers. Oddly, football jumpers weren't jumpers at all but zip up cardigans, loosely based on American college cardigans with two rings around the sleeve on the upper arm. They were called football jumpers as supposedly in team colours but, and this has only occurred to me whilst typing this, I wonder if they were originally based on American Football...
 The programme 'Budgie' was certainly influential on fashion. Anyone remember 'Queenie's Castle' with Diana Dors? Pretty dire but one of her son's was a post skinhead youth ( the actor had played a skinhead in an episode of 'Softly Softly') - I think we watched it just because of that! Back in the 70's virtually all young people would watch Top of the Pops on a Thursday night - although not as cool as RSG had been in the 60's if still helped to spread fashion trends to the...
  Started off, inevitably, with Brut. Then moved on to Old Spice (I think because my Dad used it) Maybe tried a bottle of Hai Karate at some time.... Pretty much stuck with Old Spice for years. Later in the decade I was bought a bottle of 'Bengal Lancer' which I really liked but could never find it again.
 Thanks Gsvs5 (and M-o-M), Pretty much confirms my thoughts. I'm not sure what to make of Pauline Black. Somehow she appears on all documentaries about skinheads, yet doesn't claim to have been a skinhead during the original era, despite being the right age (in fact, she states that she was not) Yet in her autobiography she gives this description saying the skinheads were cool, how she liked their ska music (weren't we calling it reggae by then?) but she was listening to...