or Connect

Posts by roytonboy

Yes, I had one exactly like this, same colour. (Though back in 1969 I was probably wearing size 14 and a half!) I also had one in pale green.
 Thanks Ed. I've just watched it (I skipped most of the nonsense about 'Hells Angels') it's a good watch. Lots of familiar clips but good to see it all put together in the original programme. I'm pretty sure I saw it when it originally came out. I recall there was another programme about the same time where they interviewed other skinheads and they were saying about taking a pride in their appearance - a skinhead girl saying "It's a much smarter look" or something similar.
 M-o-M - Lee jackets were rare but I avoided saying 'not worn' as I am aware that there is a photo of a lad at the Twisted Wheel in one and should I have used the dreaded 'never' word, within hours that photo would have appeared on here!
 I think this underlines the point made recently made by Mr. Knightly - we look back on things with a greater inquisitive eye than we had at the time. As ever, the following are only my observations and shouldn't be taken as the definitive answer. 1) Lee Rider jeans weren't often seen in our area. They were harder to come by but that may have made them more desirable to some individuals. Lee Rider denim jackets were seen but again, far less common than Levi or Wrangler. In...
 As I mentioned earlier, there  is an interesting discussion on the subject of 'Suedehead' for a few pages from page 1238 - if it's a style that interests you it's worth a read. Clouseau posted some photos on page 1244.  - as you can see, there is a mix of hair lengths and items of clothing showing that skinhead to suedehead was a gradual transition.To me, the shorter hairstyles in the first photo is what I think of as 'Suedehead', by the second, a fewer number have that...
 It just shows how attitudes and society has changed in just a generation.   I suspect that once again our 'friends' in the media had a part to play in some of what went on as reports in the papers that skinheads enjoyed 'queer bashing' merely provoked copy-cat behaviour from others (see also: 'paki- bashing' and 'squadie - bashing'). Give something a name and it will catch on. The truth is, back in those days you hardly ever came across anyone who was openly gay (that...
  I would imagine that very few people people go right back to the start and read all the posts when they first join the forum - I know I didn't.
 Newton Heath - for your interest , look back at page 808..........
 Hi SoCalBoy and welcome.  Yes, I have one of these coats, though mine is navy. Very nice material and  smart looking. If you are thinking of purchasing one you need to be aware that they are slim fitting so if you buy one in your normal size it will not fit over a jacket - you may even need to go 2 sizes up depending on what you wish to wear under it. They are also a little longer than the classic Crombies we wore in our youth.