or Connect

Posts by roytonboy

I can only speak for our area. In our immediate locality there were very few West Indians anyway, so therefore very few black skinheads. I would say that they would lean more towards our culture and style of dress than any other (or was it the other way round?!?) and I can remember a couple who were skinheads/suadeheads in terms of dress and the people they went around with. In terms of Manchester, there was a larger West Indian community centred on Moss Side. This is...
 Yes, the riots in the early eighties were certainly not 'race riots' but rather the poor expressing their frustration at the way they perceived the country was being run. Black and white stood together in most places where they occurred. Scousers are the same as everyone else - most of them are OK, some are great lads (and girls), some are bad. No doubt many of the racial issues have eased in Liverpool as they have elsewhere. In terms of the religious bigotry I know...
 Unfortunately there has been an element of racism attached to Liverpool. It was at the centre of the slave trade to North America and the Caribbean and much of the city's wealth was originally built on that. Some of the older buildings in the city centre still carry engravings of black slaves in chains. It has one of the oldest black communities in the country (and the oldest Chinatown in Europe) and an element of prejudice existed for generations. The clip posted...
 Yes, Levi's certainly were.
  This is the one I mean! (Wide fitting jeans) 
  Apologies, that should be post 21231 -  posted a couple of days ago by Clouseau.
 Absolutely not. The idea was that they should be wide fitting. This is how braces started to be worn originally because some would wear them a size larger (and therefore slightly wider) and you needed braces to get them to hang right. In the north, Wranglers were favoured by many because they were wider than Levi's. If you look at the lads sat on the wall in post 21231 you can see how wide the jeans were.
 These pictures put into context the number of skinheads that were around, even at football. In this photo there are 3 or 4 we would class as skinheads out of about 20 fans. The idea that football grounds were full of skinheads in 1969 and 1970 is a misconception. We were in a minority at football, we were in a minority even amongst working class kids of our own age. To stand with others on a football terrace and see other skinheads all around could give the impression...
 That's a good spot, elwood, and dates it very well. Also the kid standing on the front row appears to have an original Jaytex check shirt on that many of us wore at the time - not pure gingham, they were made up of 2 main colours which were edged in a third on a white background. (Mine was maroon and light blue edged with a very thin gold stripe)
 Me too!