or Connect

Posts by roytonboy

Since joining this forum three and a half years ago I have been amazed at the variety of clothes we wore and terms that were in use in different places at different times and it is important to bear this in mind whenever trying to give definitions to certain words. Variations could be very localised. As an example, only last Sunday I was having a discussion with a lad of about my age in a Soul Club. He also had been a skinhead at the same time as me and although from...
The term 'Smoothie' to describe a particular post skinhead look was very short lived, only a few  months as teenage fashion morphed into glam-rock and a number of other looks in 1972. Interestingly though, the term 'Boot boy' and Boot boy culture lasted right through the mid 70s as football hooliganism became entrenched as a Saturday afternoon ritual.
 Welcome Sean. Well, you have potentially opened up a can of worms here as the time/place continuum means that there will be lots of different views on this depending on  where people are from. I'm going to re-post some earlier submissions. The first I wrote about 14 years ago about how we used the terminology at the time. The second shows the development of skinhead through to boot boy. However, this is only my interpretation of it. What I regard as Suedehead others see...
Pressure Drop is Chris Brown.(author of 'Booted & Suited) He has his own facebook site.
 Nope, you've lost me now...........
 I think that's pretty much what I was trying to say in my own plebian way.
 Spot on, NH, Use the best/most appropriate bits to develop your own style. Style is always appreciated, even by those not of our culture. Those that are will recognise it.
 Whenever I have come across this sight, in person or on the internet, I am always struck by how UNLIKE the original skinheads they look. It is very rarely done well (there are some notable exceptions, individuals who have really put some effort into it). In fact, I always doubt that many of them were actually skinheads back in 1969/70, if so, they wouldn't dress as they do - rather they have copied certain items of clothing, mistakenly believing that it was about the...
 Yes, I had one exactly like this, same colour. (Though back in 1969 I was probably wearing size 14 and a half!) I also had one in pale green.