or Connect

Posts by Trilby

At least most manufacturers do a limited range of wide shoes. The options are even more limited for those with narrow feet (other than Alden and AE).
Quote: Another difference is that the USMC are well-equipped and are respected by their government, in stark contrast to our own forces. Sadly true. After the huge political row about sending the Black Watch to Falluja, I'm staggered that this government is now proposing to consolidate the regiment out of existence.
Quote: I have worked with the US Marines several times and comparing them with British soldiers is rather like comparing apples and oranges. The doctrine and ethos is entirely different. Interesting. The US and British forces are obviously very different creatures, but I have heard several people say that the Marines are the part of the US military that is most similar to the British forces. The structure of the Marines and their distinct traditions...
Quote: Dark DB suit with stripes so loud they're practically neon, super wide-spread collar shirt whose collar points curl under at the ends, fraying woven silk tie = Brit. You left out the pair of black half brogue shoes (usually Church's) that are falling apart, with a completely worn down sole and heel, and that look as if they were polished with a block of concrete. Quote: 100% Polyester RTW uniform, 17 rows of medals but 2 years...
I'm not sure I understand why you would want to separate out steps 2 and 3. Do you absolutely need hand-attached sleeves and hand-sewn buttonholes? Many (perhaps most) bespoke shirtmakers machine-sew the sleeveheads and buttonholes. Separating out the workmanship as you propose is likely to create a mongrel garment and increases the risks of shipments getting lost and things not being done properly. I also imagine that most shirtmakers would refuse to do this. If you are...
Very true, ViroBono. Most people in Britain would only refer to a coat as meaning an overcoat and a vest as meaning an undershirt (frequently in the context of a string vest). Clothing snobs would be horrified by using "American" words to describe clothes. However, I find it very strange that real tailors in Britain -- including on Savile Row -- use these words with their American meanings. They talk about coats (as part of 2-piece suits), coatmakers, vestmakers, etc....
Alex -- I'm very impressed by your response here. I have never ordered anything from Chuck (although I am very tempted), but he is one of the most respected contributors on this site and others. I would not have any doubts at all about the quality of his merchandise or the service he provides. However, your offer to stand behind Chuck goes above and beyond the call of duty. Bravo. Trilby
Manton is exactly right about the leg to trunk ratio being the most important thing. I would add that, in getting this balance right, you need to think about whether your height is in your torso or your legs. Most of us tall people have our height in our legs -- if this is the case with you, then Manton's advice as to the jacket length is spot on. If you have normal length legs but a longer torso, then you might have to adjust the measurements slightly for everything to...
Most of the English shoemakers have one in their range -- certainly C&J and Green do. I expect that you can also find similar things at tack shops, although many of the low boots that are actually made for riding have the elastic sides. It's a great looking boot -- looks terrific with jeans.
Kabert - thanks very much for your prompt reply. I think I'm in the same boat as you -- it sounds awfully tempting, but I have significant doubts about whether they would work. They look like beautiful shoes from the pictures on Ebay, but if the fit isn't right, it's better to put the money towards a pair of Edward Greens that fit properly. Top quality RTW shoes that fit right are preferable to someone else's handmade bespoke shoes that don't fit. Trilby