or Connect

Posts by tizim

Quote: Originally Posted by Johnny_5 The problem among students nowadays is their self entitlement. "I will come to class late if I want, daddy pays $x for me to go here every semester." They think they have a say in everything that occurs on campus and piss and moan about any rule or situation that isnt convenient for them because they think of themselves as customers. I don't really see it as some nasty form of self-entitlement. It's...
Quote: Originally Posted by LA Guy Doesn't work that way. Not valuing something implies you have no respect for it. A professor is not a traffic school teacher. University students are ostensibly there of their own volition, and to learn. Yeah, there are courses that professors hate teaching because the students are unmotivated. Some very good professors can motivate a rock, and so even in these classes, can produce a critical mass of students who...
Quote: Originally Posted by HRoi i'm surprised at how many people seem to think it's perfectly all right and not disrespectful to walk into a class (or any gathering) an hour late. i thought it was a social norm that showing up late is disrespectful to the person or people who have committed their time for your purposes (in this case, to educate you), and whose time you are now wasting. Mehh just cuz you're late to some event doesn't make it...
BTW, is all this talk about disrespect and stuff here just because it's grad school? I can see how there'd be a master/apprentice dynamic for grad students and their profs, but to extend it to undergrad seems a little too much... In undergrad, shouldn't it be accepted that some students just don't value their prof's time and effort and that this doesn't hint at disresespect? They may appreciate the instructor's contribution, but this is different from valuing it:...
hmm fair points, looks like I'll be going to bed now while coming to terms w/ the fact that I've been a dbag student all my life...
Good thread - it's interesting to hear a professor's side of things. Quote: Originally Posted by LA Guy It's disrespectful, that's the problem. You don't show up for practice 15 minutes late and then walk off the field/out of the gym before the coach says so. Same deal. Ok so teaching is oftentimes a burden for profs. Is tardiness a common peeve too? I'm a CHRONICALLY tardy student. Simply put, I'm lazy, and when the alarm goes off in...
I was about to order another pair of NS since I outgrew my old ones, but then I found this thread on the front page. A big thanks to whoever bumped this thread! I've got a pair in the mail now and I'm super stoked... BTW, I'm guessing we're not supposed to soak these before wearing?
What was in the wrong shipment that they gave you for free?
Quote: Originally Posted by postal007 I'm 5'11" and 150lbs and usually a TTS small, and I wear a M in the tiger fleece hoodie (from the latest season). It fits me pretty spot on. I also have a terry hoody from S/S 09 in M and it fits just about the same, spot on. You could probably get away with a M slim fit from the previous seasons. Hmm well I'm 6'2", 170lbs and usually a TTS medium. I have a classic fit terry hoody from SS08 in a medium...
I hope I'm not totally highjacking this thread - if I am and this is inappropriate, just don't respond . Anyway, how do you figure out logistics when it comes to backpacking? I've decided I definitely want to backpack around Asia/Europe alone sometime, but where would I go to start researching how to get from place to place, what kind of route to plan, how to communicate with locals who speak a diff language, where to stay, etc?