or Connect

Posts by rangen930

This is a bit of an odd question. How does one get a small spot (about the size of a dime) of bacon grease out of calf leather. I have a pair of dark brown kenilworths that I am considering sending in for a recraft (the soles are truly shot). I have tried to polish and it did not really conceal the stain. Is there a home remedy I can try? I don't think a refinishing at AE will take it out but maybe others have experience with this. I appreciate any thoughts on this. A...
anyone have a picture of chili yorktowns in natural light. The AE sight pictures are less than helpful and not many show up on google.
I don't know why I have such a hard time making choices. I have narrowed down my next AE purchase to one of the following:   I already have a plain toe blucher and a wingtip in waxy leather. I want something to fit into that without too much duplication. To me that means a cap toe probably or a double sole PTB.   6th avenune (chestnut)--I like them but they are similar to my dark brown Kenilworths Yorktown (chili)--I like them but the yare $250 Clifton (brown or...
I am not sure why I over think these things so much (i.e. shoe purchases).I need to by another pair for my rotation which includes cognac mactavs, brown kenilworths and...that's it.   I like strands but the walnut seems too showy and bourbon often looks odd to me in pictures (with a green cast). I mainly wear chinos and occasionally a pair of gray wool dress pants so 5th aves would be too much. I have grown to like a blucher so I am thinking of picking up one of the...
Considered another blucher to give my brown Kenilworth's a breather.     I like the Lexington's but I keep reading about the creasing near the toe cap. Is that a reason to avoid?   Would I be better served considering the 6th avenues which look like the Sanfords I was going to get last year but failed to pull the trigger?   I would appreciate any input on the lex toe cap issue and recommendations for my chino+button down uniform.   thanks in advance.
I bought some mactavishes (1st quality) and the heel separated after 6 months of admittedly hard wear and a two shoe rotation. AE replaced them citing a structural issue and replaced them. The replacements did it again (after my rotation grew to 3 pairs of shoes). I super glued it and have not looked back. I also have some 2nd quality kenilworths which I love. They are doing the same thing.  I will assume some of it is be being overweight and/or being hard on shoes.  That...
are there any promo codes for herring that are current? When  I search I only see ones from a year ago...and no they don't work. I know they have a sale but there is nothing my size in what I want.
I made a few calls about duties, etc.   The test case is a pair of Herring Burlington which go for $255.   I am in the Midwest but I don't know if that matters. Basically there is a duty rate of about 10% (in my case about $25). Then there is a carrier fee (if you go through DHL which is what is on the herring site). The carrier fee is 2% of the duty. There is a minimum of $11 carrier fee so I would pay that since 2% would not meet that. Items under $2500 do not pay...
Is there a way to determine what additional duties, etc I might have to pay when buying from herring? I live in the states. In earlier posts it seems that I might have to pay $75 or so at delivery. Is there a way on their site to calculate?
About to buy herring's version of the barker eppings. The color is said to be "conker calf" although they are supposed to be the same as the barker epping they look darker in pictures on their site. In any case, any advice on which color belt to go for? Is walnut close enough?