or Connect

Posts by atia2

If you mean with just the penultimate button fastened, then I have always understood (and my Savile Row tailor agrees) that this is de rigeur.
    I personally enquired about the 88 last in the Jermyn Street store some weeks ago, as it is an excellent fit for my low instep foot. The gentleman with whom I spoke had not heard of it and said it must be an old last. I suspect this means that the answer to your question is, unfortunately, no.   However, I do know that Foster & Son still use the 88 for some of their RTW range, e.g. the "Cavendish", which are made by Green. Therefore, it may be possible to source a MTO...
Never owned a pair, but I stopped by the Barker shop at the corner of Jermyn St / Princes Arcade and I must say their high-end collection (Heritage or Anniversary or some such word) was quite impressive. I would say on a par with the Cheaney Imperial range but a fraction cheaper. The standard-issue Barker shoes I would place a notch above Loake (also in Princes Arcade).
Yes, I tried 3/4 leather insoles (Pedag Holiday) but they didn't do enough. I was considering tongue pads in addition, but then I decided this was too much messing around and I'd be better off buying shoes that actually fit me. Also didn't like the idea of spending big money (for me) on elegant shoes and then sticking a fluffy white felt pad on them!   Expensive lesson (the price of inexperience!) but at least I know a bit more about lasts and how a shoe ought to fit now...
Great idea for a thread. I have a low arch + low instep = low volume foot and I often end up with acres of empty space below the vamp. Not only does this not look good (facings meet) but it also gets uncomfortable. However, I don't have a particularly narrow foot (UK E) so choosing a C or D to reduce the volume is not an option.   So far I have purchased two pairs of Cleverleys on what I suspect are the C&J 337 and 348 lasts (not confirmed with them) and a pair of...
EG loafers 12/12.5 C 184 last.   NIB but with rubber over-soles added (shame). Starting bid £200 or BIN £350.   Perfect size for me, but I don't like loafers!
EG Malvern UK 12.5D in Dark Oak. New without box. Starting bid £200 or BIN £285.   0.5 too large for me or I wouldn't be posting!
I don't own any Edward Green shoes but, having tried some on in the London store, I'd have to agree that they have a slight edge on my new Grensons. I think the finishing on EG and Lobb is finer and more accurate. For example, you can see in my photos above that the sole painting is not a deep, lustrous black and has gone over the marked line at the bottom. Similarly the way the heel is closed with a small fold of leather is not the most attractive method:       Small...
Many thanks, Grenson appears to check out here.   (Is it poor etiquette to link to a thread on another forum? Apologies if so.)   I must say the most spectacular items in N&L today were the Poulsen Skone apron-stitched chukka boots in beige grain. They're also on the N&L website (link) but the photos there don't do them justice: they were quite stunning in the flesh. The soles, not shown on the website, were fiddled, painted, and had a solitary triangle of nails...
Just got these from New & Lingwood on Jermyn Street. I have a low arch and low instep and usually have problems with completely closed quarters and too much room in the vamp. So I was pleasantly surprised to happen across a shoe that fit me perfectly. I would have preferred a darker brown or black but with my odd-shaped foot I couldn't decline a shoe that fits so well.   I was wondering if anyone could identify the maker? The salesman advised me these were actually...