or Connect

Posts by elwood

The reference to the red rope writing on the buttons of the Wrangler cord jacket made me smile. Exactly the detail on the one I had (loved that jacket - as a 12/ 13 year old thought I was really something in it). Can only remember one lad round my way who had the denim Wrangler jacket with the Ws on the pocket flaps - must have been late 69 or early 70. Not much evidence to fill in the gaps I'm afraid, Buttons.
Interested to hear what you say about the MR sta-prest, roytonboy. I've just got a pair as well, also on the strength of the recommendation (was that Botolph? should be on commission whoever it was ). As there's no postage charge I though I'd nothing to lose ordering a pair and I have to say I'm very happy with them. I'd previously tried on a pair of the Brooks Brothers Milano that had been recommended on here and found the rise too low but the MR are perfect for me...
Yep, could be leather as well. Just not easy to be sure from some of these old photos.
Clouseau, my French wouldn't enable me to make anything like your contribution to this thread if it were en français To me it looks like the lads at the back are wearing "suit" jackets; and at least two of them with jeans, which was quite a popular look. I know the style you are referring to but from what I saw, cord jackets were in the "trucker" style as it's subsequently been known. Cord jackets cut like suit jackets were at that time the preserve of schoolteachers -...
Good photo, McDermott.I think that might well be at the bottom of Aytoun Street, not far from the Wheel. The building in the background looks to be what was the Manchester Colllege of Commerce (later the Polytechnic and now part of Manchester Metropolitan University I think). Might have been a girl's school you can see behind that but not sure.Hair looks a bit longer to me than would commonly be later that year (ditto turn-ups). Jacket in foreground looks like cord...
Have you seen the Alnwick (black not brown but rubber sole) derby on the Charles Tyrwhitt (ctshirts.co.uk) website? Like you, I think a rubber sole can be very useful in our climate (maybe not just at the moment). I have a pair of their black longwing brogues (Paddington) with rubber sole and they're very good in winter; they're also currently reduced price on website.
(late reply but ...) Absolutely do that myself: Goodyear-welted is often a good indicator to me. I have a strong preference for shoes made that way.
Not a very seasonal photo but I don't think it's been on here before. Lifted from a splendid blog, gotnotgot, (which I recommend to anyone who remembers football before the Premier League) this is captioned "suedehead in the snow" and it brings the period back for me in so many ways. No details of when or where - so over to our usual forensic experts - but that red & black scarf (correctly tied) could be for my own team's away colours ...
Having been away for a little while with limited internet access, have just been catching up. Not wanting to fan any flames around Mr. Elms and his works but I have to say I enjoyed "The Way We Wore", regardless of any scepticism about the authenticity of his recollections. It set me remembering just where my tastes/ prejudices in clothing came from and when I started wondering whether and where I might find those Royal brogues these days, my internet searches eventually...