or Connect

Posts by elwood

I don't either, roytonboy. But in the mid- to late-seventies - in the bootboy/ white butcher coat era - there were the Kippax Kool Kats. Particularly remember seeing them at away games. One of them put out a book about their exploits a few years ago.
 I think this might be the look you're remembering, skinny legs  He wore that on Roxy Music's tour, late '74.
Don't think we had that one before, but it looks more late 70s early 80s ? [/quote] My gut reaction is that's actually early 70s - maybe even 71. Kid at the front in the Harrington - looks to me to have a Lancashire red rose on his left side: that was very popular accessory in my area in 71; don't think you'd see it late 70s. He's also wearing one of those cheap trilbies they sold at the seaside - the detective in me says the slogan on it is "I'm only here for the beer"...
Article in today's Telegraph about the demise of youth "tribes": http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/fashion-and-style/11624401/Why-dont-young-people-want-to-be-part-of-a-tribe-any-more.html There's a link within it to an earlier article about the Derek Ridgers' photo book (think it's been mentioned on here previously). Lots of the usual nonsense in both articles, not least blurring the difference between Original and 1980s revival, but I've put the link up more for...
Thanks, yankmod & Soul Vision ... didn't realise they'd been so prolific
Indeed they were City girls... and from Dublin
Thanks, GSVS5. Have been a bit intermittent in my reading, hence belated Ivy League comment. Well spotted on the rucksack. Reminded me I borrowed one to go away with in mid-70s. They often had a metal frame with quite sharp edges ... this one ripped an L-shaped tear in the seat of my jeans so I came home rather ragged-arsed ...
I've been sorting through some of my old books recently and came across this photo in A Pictorial History of Manchester City published in 1998. It shows two lads who'd hitchhiked to Spain for City's European tie in Bilbao in September 1969.   Another example (on right) of "double denim", with jacket fastened at next to top button, scarf worn muffler-style ... and sunglasses similar to others seen on here quite often. On left you can see denim jacket cuff turned...
Belated input on discussions about how aware anyone was of "Ivy League" style back in the late 60s/ early 70s. For my part if any had mentioned Ivy League to me back then, I'd have thought they were referring to the "pop group" of that name from the mid-60s:     Not that they had anything to do with the look. And I now find from Googling them, that two of them wrote and recorded "Let's Go to San Francisco" as The Flowerpotmen in 1967 - pretty far-removed from this...
I had a mate who had a pink check Ben Sherman short-sleeved BD in about 71. I seem to remember him getting a bit of stick about the colour as it was very unusual. (Neither of us were skins as such, coming in at the suedehead/smoothie end of things.)Purple I only remember seeing in City scarves