or Connect

Posts by elwood

I'd been thinking that mac lengths were a bit longer, an example being this photo I posted on the other thread a while back ...
I think you're probably right about Crombie-length back then, covskin. I can't swear to it from memory of mine but if you have a look at the classic Sunday Times magazine photo "Meet the Crombie Boys" the length there was just above the knee.
Sounds like it will be worth watching after all. (I'm saying nowt else about tonight's football )
On BBC4 tonight at 9pm, series on link between music and fashion in 60s "Oh! You Pretty Things: The Story of Music and Fashion". Supposedly will include coverage of rudeboy and skinhead trends. May well just be the usual clichés and stock footage but you can hope. I'll be recording it to watch later in the week as a certain football match will have my attention tonight.
A bit further west, Saint, on the "right" side of the Pennines - Maine Road, Manchester. (Kippax is in Yorkshire but Kippax Street - and the terrace with the same name that I mentioned - was firmly in Manchester.
Indeed, roytonboy. Local variations could be very local - and I think your ripples in a pond analogy is a good one. North Stand 71/72 - yep. IIRC it was a standing terrace just for that season. I seem to remember that at first home game of the season, the Kippax was the usual place to be and the North Stand was pretty empty but before kick-off there was a spontaneous mass rush from the Kippax, swarming into the new stand. And that was the place to be for the rest of the...
Interesting post, roytonboy.I think I'm the right vintage for that "crossover" period (as I think I've said before I wasn't an Original: more an observer of Originals) but "Suedehead" is not a term I can remember being used round my way. We all knew it from the Richard Allen book - and the look on its cover was familiar to us in 71 - but it wasn't a term applied to anyone locally either as a matter of pride or as an insult.By the time I really got into wearing what was...
The reference to the red rope writing on the buttons of the Wrangler cord jacket made me smile. Exactly the detail on the one I had (loved that jacket - as a 12/ 13 year old thought I was really something in it). Can only remember one lad round my way who had the denim Wrangler jacket with the Ws on the pocket flaps - must have been late 69 or early 70. Not much evidence to fill in the gaps I'm afraid, Buttons.
Interested to hear what you say about the MR sta-prest, roytonboy. I've just got a pair as well, also on the strength of the recommendation (was that Botolph? should be on commission whoever it was ). As there's no postage charge I though I'd nothing to lose ordering a pair and I have to say I'm very happy with them. I'd previously tried on a pair of the Brooks Brothers Milano that had been recommended on here and found the rise too low but the MR are perfect for me...
Yep, could be leather as well. Just not easy to be sure from some of these old photos.