or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

I was only jesting. I forgot to use one of these
I'm with you on the faded jeans. I always want mine to stay in a near pristine condition. Back in 1969 I loved the heavyness and smell of new Levi jeans. You don't get that today without spending a lot of money.   I'm not with you on the 'sleeping in your own filth' comment. I wash at regular intervals, with or without my missus help.   I'm also with you on buttons.His knowledge is impressive and I reckon he could have easily bluffed his way on this site to being 16 in...
Nearly all my girlfriends (hark at me!) had natural shoulder length hair and dressed more like early mods and later more like hippies than skinhead girls. The skinhead girls tended to be more 'boyish' and were a bit on the young side for my tastes. I did like the girls who used to wear the fitted girls Brutus shirts though. The Tonik mohair suits with the short skirts also looked smart. I think one craze was for some of the girls to dye just the front edge of their hair....
Going back to the photo of the 'bleach boy' does anyone have any info on   Who he was? (Somebody must know) Where was the photo taken? When was it taken? Was it for a media shot? (it looks a bit stagey to me). Why the no parking sign? (Was it near a football ground. Where are all the fans?Where are the cars?) Why no mates? (Was it the bleached jeans and boots?) Something just doesn't ring true about it. Not for 1969.   For me the photo raises more...
  He might have been a psycho but the odds are that there would have been one or two psycho's already in the dancehall along with their firms and they wouldn't have stood about waiting for him to make his speech. I remember a gang of black kids tried to take over Ilford Palais one night and small rival mobs in the Palais quickly formed a united group and chased them back down the High Road.
40 Euro's for Lee Rider, Made in Japan and high waisted- absolute bargain!  Were there many pairs for sale? I'm looking for similar jeans.
I am not a traffic cone expert but its putting me off 1969 as well. I am not keen on his work boots or the bleached jeans.The rest of his clothes are pukka.  We wore Martens because we could run in them. He wouldn't have caught me up running in those boots. I tried bleaching my Levi's around 1969 and completely ruined them. They became my cut downs. His bleaching is cruder than I remember and it looks more like he has painted them.
I still use the term alright as a greeting and I'm glad to say that it is still used by the newspaper boys in my neighbourhood as a good morning greeting. For girls we used Bird, Sort or Tart/Slag and we even called each other Tart or used the greeting 'alright girls', to each other. I remember a boss who was about 40 using the 'aggro' term to me as in 'don't give me any aggro' when I was 15. I hated that Hippy Man thing. We used a lot of rhyming slang but that wasn't...
I lived near an open air swimming pool and from 11-15  we spent our school holidays there. After that we all had summer jobs and stopped going. It had a 3m 5m 7.5m and 10m concrete diving board but for safety reasons the 7.5 and 10m were usually closed. The attendants were hardly to be seen but they used to stop us going on the high boards. There were always rumours of deaths from divers who had belly flopped from 10 metres.  When it rained we used to sneak up and jump...
What is amazing to me is that our fashions were changing almost on a monthly basis in an attempt to keep one step ahead of kids that didn't quite get it.You could travel across London and see kids that looked identical to yourself, wearing similar clothes,haircuts and using similar slang expressions. Word of mouth moved fast. We always checked out what other mobs were wearing. The music was also the same whether it was the Ilford Palais or Tottenham Royal or that place...