or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

I have read before that John Simons didn't like his younger customers back in 69/70 but I don't remember any customers over the age of 19 in the Brewer St Squire shop, at that time.Did he have many older customers? As Lasttye says he made enough money from young Herberts like me to expand and opened shops along Oxford St. I remember a Squire shop next to Bond St station that I used and there was one in the Kings Road in the early 70's. Like Mr Knightley I started shopping...
Like a lot of the clothes they started MTM and pretty quickly (3-6 months) you could buy off-the-peg, in the same style, from market stalls and clothes shops etc. A mate of mine had the first blue windowpane check MTM POW that I saw and a week later his mate had a red windowpane check POW suit. My POW jacket was from Alexandra and my Mohair trousers were from a normal High Street Burtons.I remember the explosion in knock-off Harringtons sold from market stalls in...
Returning to the clothes, I remember that when everyone started to wear Tonik and later Trevira (cheap material that a lot of the girls seemed to wear in tonik style jackets and short skirts) the look became cheap. We moved on to Prince of Wales check (some wore complete suits with a blue or red window pane over check to indicate MTM). I had a MTM jacket in POW. Dogtooth became popular and then even Houndstooth. Of course it was all in the details, not just the material....
Between 15 and 17, and still at school, I had a MTM Tonik mohair suit, a MTM Prince of Wales jacket and a MTM pair of mohair strides. I had a Baracutta Harrington, Crombie overcoat (no sheepskin because my mates beat me to it and I wasn't going to copy them and play catch up). I wore Bass Weejun loafers, DM's ,Royals. Ben Shermans (no Brutus shirts because they were cheaper). I could go on. Nearly all my mates dressed the same with half of them at work and half still at...
I knew I would be corrected on the Tonik comment. My Mod cousins had silver grey mohair suits but I didn't see a Blue Green Tonik till 1968 when I had one. A made to measure suit  (at 15 years old!). I am not sure that they would have worn such a leary suit. Today I would have been called a mod but back then if I had done so my older cousins would have taken the piss out of me.What about sheepskins? When did they first appear?
I was 16 in 1969 and the media and greasers used the term skinhead to describe me and my mates. We took the term as an insult at first but it became adopted by us and we turned it around in the same way as Tottenham fans adopted the 'Yiddo' chant. As far as I know the term 'skinhead' was not used previously. We didn't call ourselves anything. My older cousins (about 22 in 1969) were London Mods. We were a continuation on from them' culturally' but our hair became shorter...
We used the term having a bit of 'aggro' for fighting and someone causing 'aggravation' or 'agg' as in causing a bit of trouble. Didn't really use the term bovver, especially when the media got hold of it for 'bovver boys'. At school fights were 'bundles' and 'having a ruck' was also used. Our school headmaster was named Mr Roberts and the Harry Roberts chant could be heard in the school corridors for a while.
As I have said before much of what I was wearing 1968-1971 I can wear today (in slightly larger sizes!). Compare that with Goths, New Romantics, Punks and other youth movements that followed. A mature man would look ridulous in many of the fashions he followed as a teenager however much of the Mod/Skin/Suedehead look has stood the test of time IMO. Or am I deluding myself like the Teddy boy?
I wouldn't slag off the 80's casuals, either. I've always seen them as having a strong connection to the 1970 suedehead. They probably went overboard on designer labels and the logo's but the thinking behind their clothes buying was the same as mine, I think.
Ha Ha.Yes that looks like buttons alright. He must be having us all on with his young boy act. Are the two old geezers in the background Original,Original skins claiming that it all started in 1929?