or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

I think it is great to read what Closeau has to write regarding the Minets, quote; 'At the time, you bought the  Renoma Blazer (all the Minets wanted one) and choose a patch you had to saw yourself'.   We didn't have a clue about Minets (we didn't know about anything outside London and the Suburbs) but a much forgotten part of what we wore when 15/16 was the Initialed Blazer. The blazer had to be 3 button, patch pockets,centre vent and navy/black. We got the pocket...
A mate of mine ended up with a lime green one that at the time we all thought was great. Another friend had a almost brilliant white one. We never went down the two-tone route though. I can't remember what casual jacket if any I bought after that (in the 90s I had a Ralph Lauren) but I did have a Levi jean jacket for a while when it all started to go wrong in the 1970s
Regarding jeans, everyone in my area wanted Red Tab 501's in the mid late '60s. The type you sat in the bath in and waited for them to shrink 4 inches in length and 1 inch in the waist. In 1970 I bought a pair of ready shrunk Orange tab Levi's (from Millets?) but I always regarded them as inferior. I then went on to wear Lee Rider jeans and I wear Lee to this day. Like many of us I still bought Levi cords and Sta Prest in 68/69/70. Jeans sold today bare no comparison to...
My Mob bought their first Harringtons (Baracutas) from the Squire shop (He did sell them then) in late 1969. I remember that I was a bit dissapointed because I thought Harringtons were American (after watching Peyton Place) and mine had 'Made in England' on the label. Mine was bottle green and we all tried to have different colours but not black . I seem to remember that black became the main colour for knock-off Harringtons as sold in Millets and in the market. What...
The Kickers look like something you would buy for a five year old. Many 'adult' clothes today seem to be an extension of what childrens' wear is. Men dress like overgrown babies and children.   Going back to boots I vaguely remember rubber-soled commando boots. In the late '60s you were never far away from an Army and Navy store that supplied cheap clothing and footwear. I bought officer boots and jungle greens from an A&N near Fords motor works.They generally sold to...
I just assumed it was recently written. If he is 56/57 that would make it believable but even then he must have been ahead of the game in his own peer group. It would be a bit like me claiming to be a London Mod. I know the clothes details , where they went and what they did from my cousins, who were Mods, but it would be stretching the truth to claim I was there.
I have always worn pink BD shirts. I think it is an easy colour to wear for casual or smart. I do however remember coming across prejudice back in the day, mainly from friends with an Irish background. Some of the Irish were very conservative (some still are) and to them a Pink anything represented the sign of a bum bandit. Luckily I was macho enough to carry the look off. I remember walking into an 'Irish' pub (the Joker, Seven Kings) with 1/2 dozen mates, suited and...
They look pretty good to me. I recently found a Next catalogue from the late '80s in the loft, when George Davies was running the business. It was a shock to see how 'Ivy' some of their products were back then. I had forgotten  If they offered the same products today I would be quite happy to shop there, which just goes to show how standards on the high street have dropped. It was before the time when production was outsourced to China. Nothing will change however as the...
His story doesn't ring true if he is 53 years old, as stated. If he was born in 1953 it is more believable. Its quite close to some of my own memories, except for the violence. We generally only fought with boys our own age (usually at football) and mirror images of ourselves. Any aggro was incidental, except at football matches. We were only interested in having a good time. Other people were invisible to us.
Funny that, I have been looking for about 10 years for a pair of Jodhpurs boots to match the ones I bought from an equestrian shop in Elm Park in 67/68. Plenty of boots around but nothing to match the slightly rounded toe of my original boots. The search continues.