or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

His story doesn't ring true if he is 53 years old, as stated. If he was born in 1953 it is more believable. Its quite close to some of my own memories, except for the violence. We generally only fought with boys our own age (usually at football) and mirror images of ourselves. Any aggro was incidental, except at football matches. We were only interested in having a good time. Other people were invisible to us.
Funny that, I have been looking for about 10 years for a pair of Jodhpurs boots to match the ones I bought from an equestrian shop in Elm Park in 67/68. Plenty of boots around but nothing to match the slightly rounded toe of my original boots. The search continues.
 Yes, the wedding reception could have been interesting. Fortunately, or not we went our separate ways. I went to a wedding last weekend when 'bubbles' was sung even though Tottenham and Arsenal supporters were also present. They just kept quiet for the sake of the bride.
I once had a girlfriend from the Isle of Dogs northern end and was shocked to find out that her and her mates supported Millwall and not West Ham. Rotherhithe Tunnel is nearby and also Blackwall Tunnel.There seemed to be areas that were no mans land but in my family from Poplar and Stepney it was West Ham.
I remember seeing a 30 strong gang of boys from London at Canvey Island, bank holiday 1964. They were Mods but were proto-type skinhead. They went around singing Prince Busters 'Al Capone' as a gang song. I was well impressed, at 11 years old and saw my future that day.
The 1967 West Ham v Man U game was the first time as a 13 year old I saw organized football violence but trouble between West Ham and Millwall goes back to pre WW2. One reason was the rivalry between dockers working north and south of the river. Danny Baker the DJ from south of the river claims that he could tell the difference between accents from both sides.
I was in Sardinia, Italy recently and came across a Fred Perry shop with really decent BD's with a good collar roll. I haven't seen these in the UK but Italian guys still seem to wear BD shirts with good collars and not the short collars on sale here in the UK.
I have this raincoat that I was lucky to pick up in the UK in a sale at 75% off. It's a great coat but unfortunately not made in USA. I only wear it about 4 times a year though.I tend to stand out from the crowd these days wearing such clothes.
I never had a pair of monkey boots although I liked them. By 1969 my brother and his mates aged 14 were wearing them as a cheaper option to DM's. Girls were also wearing them so for my group of 16/17 year olds they were not so popular.
Although I was/am a soul fan If we are talking specifically about 1969 the music that stands out for me is that of  Desmond Dekkers'  'The Israelites' and 'It Mek'. His music could be heard in all the places we visited at that time. Many Skinheads turned against Reggae by 1972 but I still liked/like it in small doses.Today, I mainly listen to Classical music in my car, to help me avoid road rage incidents.