or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

The Coventry boots and braces boys would not have got into Ilford Palais, Tottenham Royal or the Lyceum in the Strand dressed like that in 1969.In fact I seem to remember you even had to wear a tie to get in to most dancehalls. The dress code at their Locarno must have been slack.
I had a white crew neck short sleeve mesh FP but that was post-skinhead in the mid-70s. I remember mates wearing them with gold necklaces. I think my dad had a mesh FP polo but that was early 60s.
 I am not above visiting charity shops. I recently bought an Austin Reed rainmac , made in Japan, for £4. Normal retail price was above £200 and the mac was mint. It fitted perfectly. I offered £5 and told them to keep the change but the assistant became confused at so generous a gesture. I don't think I would buy a used polo shirt but if it was a Smedley in new condition I might reconsider.
Yes, I forgot that Dead End Street was an A side. Funny though I always regarded it as a B side. I must have both singles in storage.
No ifs, no buts Waterloo Sunset is classic London song. The old mods I know still think of it as an all-time great. Dead End Street was a great B- side. I still have the 45 in my collection.
This is very good advice from someone who obviously knows what they are talking about. Not sure that I would go to the charity shop for polo shirts though.
Eric Burdon and the Animals were mods when they sang 'Hold on' on Ready Steady Go. Otis Redding introduced them, no less.
Two of my aunts were sitting in deckchairs drinking tea when it was all kicking off on Brighton beach in the famous Mods and Rockers mid sixties battle. They regarded the fraca as free entertainment. They had lived through the heavy Germany bombing of London docklands so for them the fighting was child's play. That generation were pretty tough and not much phased them. The photo does look staged though.
Royals are on my wish list as well. I walked past an old fashioned menswear shop in Westcliff near Southend and I saw a pair of Royal brogues in burgundy for £150. I don't need any shoes but they looked so good that I have to buy them.
I got blind drunk on rum and black when I was 16 and it took me 30 years before I could face a glass of rum again. A West Indian friend went back to Tobago and bought me back an authentic rum and I got over my phobia.