or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

'London United' as we used to chant down at Southend on a bank holiday weekend back in 69/70, just to prevent local rivalries from breaking out.
Dodgy geezers on the razzle? 
Apparently, a Burton suit made to measure would have cost about £225 at today's prices in 1966. At those prices I would have a M to M suit for every day of the week. In 1966 a man would order a suit on average every two years and have to wait about six weeks for it to be made. 
The term 'Herbert' goes back generations in East London. My grandfather who would be 120 years old today used the term and so did my dad. Other terms for young men were 'Hounds' and 'Roosters'. Definitely not words created by skinheads. 'Sort' however I believe to be a Skinhead created word.
I had a similar experience with a group of mates looking through endless swatch books in a high street tailors. Very easy to make a mistake on material choice. Apart from my Prince of Wales jacket I kept to the mohair fabrics. Yes it was a right of passage that unfortunately no longer happens.
It certainly was great to be able to get MTM as a teenager. I don't think the tailors knew what was going on at first when groups of teens entered their shops with very specific demands. 
 I remember that some tailors were awkward buggers not prepared to listen to a kid, but then I was 16/17 and they all seemed to be 60/70 years old.
Claptons 2 button suit jacket was probably made to measure to his specifications. Not unusual back then to go to a high street tailor and get suits, jackets and trousers made up how you wanted. You had to be specific or else you might end up with a suit that your dad would wear. Erics jacket looks like it doesn't have a top pocket ?
I noticed that Clapton does the collar buttons up on his Harrington in one photo. I never have and I don't remember seeing that look. I do have one Harrington with buttoned sleeves that I roll back. The jacket looks similar and is without a raglan sleeve. Not a Bara but a Katharine Hamnett, pure cotton, made in England. His could have been an America import.
     That story is a good read. The Newcastle boys seemed to be in the know as to what was happening down south but they didn't have the shops selling what they wanted to buy clotheswise. He writes that you couldn't buy Dr Martens in Newcastle at that time but even down south we had to make a trip to Brick Lane to buy our first pair.6 months later plenty of local shops were selling Martens.The author travelled around so he would have been aware. I remember Newcastle always...