or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

Yes I did look at the Sanders boots. Thanks for the tip. Quite good but not exactly what I'm looking for. I am a bit of a fussy sod. Annoyingly, my missus bought a pair of jodhpurs this week that were the exact shape I'm after but they didn't have them in a mens version.
I Have the same  BB Mac in a 40R and mine sits just above the knee. It is a few years old with a generous cut and I can wear a jacket under it. I am just over 6ft and for me it is the correct length. Any longer and it would drown me. Today most macs seem to be cut too short, for my tastes, at a car coat length  I like a Raglan cut to the sleeves but the BB is a standard sleeve. Some of the macs on the US ebay site posted by Botolph look pretty good.
Were those RAF coats really a part of the skinhead look in the North? I remember hippies, that listened to Prog Rock, wearing them down south.Greatcoat vs Crombie - no comparison. Crombie every time for me.
Very good post backed up with photographic evidence. I can relate to the London/South look but I didn't know what was going on elsewhere at that time so I can't comment on a Northern look.The boys from Bristol and the West Country seemed to have something else going on as well. I don't remember us wearing any other Sta-Prest colour other than the off white/stone as seen in the photos. We had Tonik suits but would not have worn tonic Levi sta prest. I don't recall seeing...
This is exactly how I remember that time, living in East End and Essex borders. Skinhead was a term of abuse for early adopters of the look. Was it a term of abuse in other parts of the country? We wore smart clothes as often as we wore street wear.
Spot on. Good post. There was a TV programme on hairstyles the other week. For the period covering 68-75 it was all long hair for the men. Skinheads and short hair did not get a mention. If I didn't have the old school photos (and this site) I would begin to start to think that my memory was playing tricks and I was making it all up.
In the early 70s we used to shop around the South Kensington and Kings Road areas and the smell of patchouli oil was everywhere. The oil seemed to go hand in hand with joss sticks.Some of my work mates (some young professionals) were living in squats in the mid 70s. Near Mile End was a whole street of squats, in the old derelict terraced houses, and they had some great street parties. I don't remember many hippies but certainly young professionals who couldn't afford...
I have the same BB mac as you and it is a beauty.I have a pair of olive cords from Brook Taverner and they are also of good quality. I am in the market for another pair of cords and I think on your recommendation I will get myself down to M&S and buy a pair of Blue Harbour. I have always avoided that brand but anyhow I will give them a go. Last week I spent several hours looking for cords in a shopping centre and TKMaxx and all that was on offer were skinny, low waisted...
I don't know if there are any phrases or slang that skinheads used that are still used today. Or if the phrases were nationwide back then. We always used the one word expression 'alright?' when greeting a mate, followed 'by how's it going' and only this morning the paper boy said that to me. For a brief time girls were called 'sorts' and if they were good looking 'tasty sorts'. A 'geezer' good with his fists was described as 'tasty' as well. If it was said that someone...
 To this day I distrust the police. Back then, on a couple of occasions, I was nearly 'fitted up' for things I hadn't done.The police were generally drawn from the same working class people that I was a part of but we were taught from a young age not to trust them. I am surprised that even cousins in their 60/70s still have a strong dislike for the old bill even though we now all lead respectable middle class lives.One of our mates became a policeman and even won a bravery...