or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

Was there some Mod/scooter thing going on yesterday afternoon? About lunchtime along the A12 there were about 50 scooters in a procession heading out into Essex. It looked pretty impressive but the riding skills of some of the 'old boys' looked dodgy, to say the least. Recently I have noticed locally some kind of mini revival going on amongst teenagers. Last week in my local park I saw a 17/18 year old wearing the best sheepskin I have seen in the last 30 years. The right...
I find the FP large logo particularly offensive but it doesn't surprise me. All the 'Brands' today ( Smedley, FP, Lacoste, Baracuta, Levi, Ben Sherman, Dr Martens, Clarks etc,etc) seem to exploit their Brand' and their past and instead of sticking to the basics (good cut or fit,quality materials, made in UK or original home etc) which IMO they initially got right they attempt to reinvent, manufacture overseas (but keep quiet about it by emphasizing the British,UK, USA etc...
Cerneabbas. You have jogged my memory re FPs. The FP site claims that it was West Ham supporters that first asked for tipped collars in the WHU colours but I thought this was a myth. My cousin part of the mid sixties North Bank claims it was true however, and he even has a Made in England FP in the colours today. The only polo shirt you could buy as a kid was a FP and my mum bought me and my brother FPs to go on holiday in the early '60's. I have a holiday photo with me,...
That Crombie coat would have been almost a weeks wages back in 1968. I used to shop in a Debenhams store down south at that time and in 1968 bought a fly fronted navy mac and a paisley Tootal silk scarf. Not bad for a 15 year old!
That was a good find Clouseau. I shopped at the Bronx shop in 1969/70. It was a great shop for Ivy style clothes. Nearly all American imports. Mr Knightley also shopped there I seem to recall.Geoff Deane gives a good account of life of a young East London teenager from those days.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91LC3Tde3AA
I haven't seen this photo before. Love the hats. I remember seeing some boys on Canvey Island, with a similar look, at about the same time. They inspired me to be come part of a gang of lads all out for a good time. I see a very definite link between this lot and those of us who came later. Who wouldn't want to be in Clacton with them?
If the drawing is meant to be from 1970 then surely that time would have been more suedehead than skinhead? Where are the Royals, brogues,bass weejuns? Are they covered by other drawings?I never wore a t-shirt then. The boots are too high. My crew wore 6/7 eyelet boots, when we wore them.etc
My first singles record was 'Dead End Street' by the Kinks, bought Christmas 1966 when Mum and Dad bought me and my brother a new record player. I later bought 'Waterloo Sunset' a great London tune. The mid sixties London Mods were into the Kinks but few London skinheads in 1969 would have been listening to them. Dress wise they degenerated, a bit like we all did in the early 70s.
I would guess Geno Washington and the ram jam band or Jimmy James and the Vagabonds.
I reckon you are right, Buttons. Next question(s): What was the record? Who was the artist ? Surely not reggae?