or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

True. The Man. U support was always large. Boosted by the cockney reds, of course . The supporters that impressed me the most were from Newcastle. They travelled in large numbers to London, were very vocal and always looking for a ruck.
Yes, the media used to say his nickname was to do with his tackling but really it was to do with his tackle!
 Chopper Harris also looks like a Skinhead role model in that photo.
Good looking Baracuta. Not made in England at that price though. John Simons is now selling his version for £89. I wore my 1980's Baracuta  today. A great jacket for spring or autumn in the UK.
I shopped at the Squire shop in 69/70 and whenever I was there it was full of young sussed herberts from all over London. Not an exec. In sight. Simons didn't much like us but we put money in his tills. I knew about the Ivy League and made in USA carried a lot of status in my crowd. When we grew up and still used his shops he became a bit more friendly.
There were several short hairstyles pre 68/69. American crewcuts, Boston cut on the neck. Most kids grew up with a short back and sides and wanted something different. I only went for the 1/2 inch crop in late 68 but my hair was already short. I tried a razor parting but on reflection that only went well on a 1/8 or 1/4 inch crop. I only remember skinheads and not mods having the 1/8 inch crop.
It was a golden period for clubs in London and the suburbs.  My mob in our early 20's who were skinheads in 1969 were also into the Funk and Soul being played. Some of the younger guys in our group had the bowling shirts and plastic sandals.
My theory is that the media chose to portray skinheads with a caricature image, either through ignorance or deliberately, and skinheads at the time didn't do themselves any favours by playing up to the image when interviewed. Revivalists generally chose to follow the caricature image without realising the creative richness of the originals.I blame the media.
Agree with you on Florsheim  longwings  v Loake longings, Clouseau . The FP CATALOGUE is interesting and again I would buy everything on the pages (particularly at those prices). I noticed on the pullover bottom left one colour offered appears to be White/Niger. Wouldn't get that today.
I did the same search. Florsheim longwings at £80 pair? I would buy a couple of pairs at that price!