or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

The Damsons look good. Back in the late 60s my mob only wore 6/7 eyelet boots. We never went in for that 8 eyelet (or more) look with rolling up the jeans to show the full boot. Our 1/2 inch turn ups came just below the top of the boot. I remember this because when the police took our laces from our boots at Southend on Bank Holiday Monday we were able to run around the Kursaal with the top eyelet tied with a piece of string (nicked out of M & S) and the Police didn't notice.
Beauties. They don't get better than that.
The boys from West London/Chelsea  were way ahead of us living in other parts of London and the suburbs, in terms of the Ivy knowledge. I didn't know the term Preppy.
This sums up nicely my thinking. Ironically by the time we accepted and used the term Skinhead in about 1970 we had started to grow our hair. I saw plenty of fighting between like minded kids but I never saw p*ki bashing. The Media had a lot to answer for. No doubt it went on but not in our crowd.The sense of collective identity was special.
I forgot. Alexandra  were also good for Dogtooth/Houndstooth patterns.
We used the Romford branch for Prince of Wales Suits and Jackets. They seemed to have particularly good patterns for POW.
That's right. I remember that MTM was not unusual for some 15/16/17 year old boys in our area. Plenty of local Jewish Tailors and there was a Burtons on many high streets where it was easy to get an affordable MTM suit. If you couldn't afford Burtons then you could go to John Collier (the Window to watch). My Dad and Uncles would get suits made up for family weddings. In Romford there was Alexandras? for younger men. We weren't rich but spent most of our money on...
There were some quite good bright colours in Harrington jackets at that time. Most went for blue or black in our area but I had a bottle green one and my mate had a fantastic lime green harrington. In the knockoff harringtons I liked the pale blue ones which I dont think Baracuta produced.
Thats interesting that knockoff Harringtons with the thick tartan lining were being produced in the USA. I can understand the warmer lining thing in a cold climate. The first made in USA harrington I saw in the UK in 1970 had no lining and was more like a golf type lightweight jacket.It was lemon coloured and I wanted it but shoes and shirts came first.
I bought a Baracuta Harrington from the Squire Shop in 1969 and so did my mates. We laughed at others who wore 'knock-off Harringtons because we were into one-upmanship. But then we didn't call ourselves Skinheads. The 'correct' tartan lining was everything. We even used to watch Peyton Place (in black and white) to see what Rodney was wearing so that we had an idea of what was Ivy. When I bought my first Baracuta I was upset that it was 'Made in England' and thought J...