or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

I remember it used to be a pain in the arse to buy a round of drinks with my mates. Not only did everyone want a different drink but they would also want it in a particular glass or mug. I always preferred a straight glass but some mates preferred a mug. Some would want a splash of lime which was sacrilege to me, if it was in an expensive drink.I always tried to buy a round early to get it out of the way and also before everyone had arrived.Who ever turned up late...
Yes, it was the old beer mugs that I noticed as well. You don't seem to see them much today. I had a pint of Peroni last Sunday in my local (it was hot) in a tall glass with the Peroni brand on the side.A good looking glass that I was tempted to take back home with me.
Not being divorced means that my missus makes most of my decisions socially wise and so the answer is, sadly, no to Margate. Is that the Skinhead jamboree later in the month?
Oi, Buttons who are you calling Fat,bald and skint? I am only one of the three with a no.0 compared with a no.3 back then. I'm not fat because I like running (some say I was always light on my toes) and I'm not skint, mainly due to the fact that I have avoided divorce
I have been trying to think of what I wear now that I didn't wear as a teenager. The list is surprisingly short. I now always wear a white T-shirt under BD shirts. Back then I had only just escaped having to wear vests (singlets) bought by mum. For some reason we always had to 'keep our chests warm'. We wore Ben Shermans without any vest.I started wearing Fruit of the Loom T shirts in my 20's. I always wear a belt with jeans,trousers. Back then my made to measure...
I think of the tasselled loafer as, generally, a young man's shoe (or was). The Bass version was my favourite when I was young and I did wear a J Simons bought pair until I was about 40 years old. I have had a re-think regarding the Fair Isle sweater, what with M o M's Monty Python reference and Elwoods, Paul McCartneys image is lodged in my brain. So Fair Isle -Maybe not for me after all. I have read some of your previous posts and reckon our paths must have crossed in...
Agree with this.Very difficult to find the clothes I like these days. All blazers I have owned have had patch pockets. I don't have a blazer at present but I am interested in what Mr Knightley is having made up. I occasionally buy Brooks Brothers shirts (made in USA) which are the right fit for me. I avoid logos on shirts.
Good article on the Desert Boot Ed. I liked the bit   'Back in Britain, a gentleman avoided suede on his feet – something sly about it, strictly for lounge lizards and worse – but up at the sharp end it was acceptable'   The Clarks Desert boot is my regular footwear of choice for day-to-day wear and I like the idea that at the 'sharp end' suede is acceptable!
Clothes that I would still wear, and do, from 'back in the day' . Nearly all shoes ie Smoothes, American Brogues, Walkovers, Clarks Dessies, Beefroll Loafers (Sebago) etc. I do have some DM's but rarely wear them. I would no longer wear Bass Weejun tasseled loafers (my favourite shoe back then). I might wear officer boots and Jodphur boots if I could find a decent pair. Would no longer wear Levi sta press or jungle greens but would wear beige Levi Cords, Levis and Lee...
That is a good summation and I can relate to much of what you write about. However when you say that you didn't want to be a skinhead I remember that,at first,we didn't call ourselves that. It was first used as an insult against our 'type'. We didn't call ourselves anything but looked up to our older brothers and cousins who followed the Mod tradition. I saw it as a continuum from them. I still meet up with my older 'East End' cousins who now live in retirement out in...