or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

You seem to have most of that period sussed IMO. American college cardies-Don't remember them. Steel toe caps- Only for building site workers and the young guys were wearing worn out DM's. Watches- Timex was a popular Christmas or Birthday gift. I had an imitation divers watch. St Christophers- I had one in about 1972. ID Bracelet- I had one 1966 with my christian name badly engraved on the face plate. By 1969 no one had them.
I could have written this (if my memory was as good). Just to add that we sometimes drank Rum and Black when we had the money. Drambue was another drink when we were flush. We also drank Pernod with plenty of ice to make it cloudy. We started to drink Lager (much to the disgust of older men) and Stella was the most expensive so we had that. One mate always wanted Lime in his Stella which used to wind us up because it ruined the taste and we thought he should have a...
I had a duffel coat, Gloverall bottle green, post skinhead in 1972. I bought a brown one in 1975. Never thought of them as skinhead or suedehead and was surprised when they featured in 'The Ivy Look'. quote  'the pea coat and the duffle coat are the ultimate signifiers of the Ivy look in cold weather'.  I still  have a liking for them and there is still a factory in London making them. In winter they are an option. However. my missus refuses to allow me to buy one...
In 1976 I worked for a Civil Engineering Consultants office in West London. At that time we wore suits and ties, even in Summer. One partner was an Aussie and he invited over 1/2 dozen young Aussie Grads.When it got hot they all turned up for work in shorts despite there being an unwritten dress code. We gave them a few wolf whistles but they got away with it because it was natural to them. No Brits copied them however but we did take our jackets off and rolled up our...
I still can't remember my first trainers but they might have been Gola. I did buy Reeboks quite early on when the logo had the Union flag. I was never a big Adidas fan (although photos show I did wear them) as I preferred Puma and I always saw these as rival brands with their own loyal followers.   The Dunlop Green Flash I wore were for knocking about in, they didn't cost much and I never considered them cool or trendy, just practical. I have a photo of me and a...
I started wearing roll necks in 1970. Having bought stuff at the Squire shop I started shopping at the Village Gate along Oxford Street and there I bought roll necks that were on the thin side to begin with but got chunkier in 71/72. I went away to college in 1972 and used a local launderette for my washing. I managed to shrink all my Roll necks in the wash and had to bin them. I wasn't too upset as one jumper was salmon pink and others were pastel shades.I still have...
This site has exploded with lots of interesting posts recently. I don't mind if it goes slightly off topic at times because it sometimes sparks other useful bits of information that is relevent. I lived near a bowling alley in the mid sixties and we used it like a youth club/coffee bar and played a bit of ten pin. I knew Mods that wore the bowling shoes in the same way that trainers are worn today. You could hire the bowling shoes and risk a foot infection but some of us...
Didn't you get into Timberland boots and boat shoes in the late 80's? I think they were my first before I started wearing Sperry. My mate used to wear a good style Clarks boat shoe. I now have one pair of cheaper boat shoes made by Chatham. I like them but find them slightly uncomfortable if I have to do any walking.
 We used the clipper no.s 1-4 when talking to the barber but many just said give me a 1/2 ", 1/4" or for the psycho's a 1/8". I don't remember a Mohican cut but there were always people trying different things. I never took to the razor parting.
I remember that the girls used to make their own jean skirts. The girls studied needlework and domestic science so many could cook and sew. Then the shops caught on and started selling ready made jean skirts for the girls. My girlfriend used to wear my cut down Levi's for painting and decorating. I remember coming home one day to see her friend in my short cut downs and the image of her long legs in my jeans stays with me to this day.