or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

Good post roytonboy. I bought the Bob and Marcia record and loved it at the time even though I thought it was a bit commercial. All the skinheads at my school left at 16 and I was surrounded by long haired hippy types in the sixth form who were into prog rock. I eventually grew my hair as well.Still have the record in my garage.
Yes a higher rise ( maybe +12 " for 34” waist) than the Uniqlo and a better feel to the denim. I did notice the zip fly on the Uniqlo pair but the cut was not as good for me. I had to travel to find an M & S that had them in stock so that I could try them on.
The Rise is about 1/2 inch more than my Lee 101Zs. They have a button fly which I am not keen on. They are not high waisted jeans but are similar to jeans I used to buy. Not low waist. 501s seem to vary a bit so I can't compare with them.
 Thanks for the tip Ed. I bought a pair. Good quality and almost comparable to my Lee 101s. Not bad for the money and a good fit. I checked out Uniqlo but would say these are better.
Exactly right. We spent most of our childhood running around outside. Usually only one fat boy per classroom. The Brutus shirts were the tightest fitting especially the short sleeves with the sewn in box pleat. My first B'S had the sewn in box pleat but my first stripped B'S had an open box pleat like the American shirts and was less fitted. The American import shirts were more baggy. I think Donkey Jackets shirt is not too big except maybe in the shoulders.
Difficult to see any details in the photo but at my school all the proto-skinheads wore riding/jodhpur boots in 1968. They had a more rounded toe than the mod chelsea boot. I bought my boots from a horse riding shop and they were pukka.
Ha! Blakey-On the buses-Get that bus out, Butler! I used to wear blakeys on a pair of jodhpur boots, at school. We used to slide down the school corridor. Headmaster ended up banning them. Too dangerous for my liking.
Don't forget that the Ilford Palais also had a resident band that played cover versions. When they came on the dance floor would empty as we headed for the bar. The song Blueberry Hill comes to mind. Never liked the music the band played. Our mob went there on a Sunday night. Back in 1966 we used to go there on a Saturday afternoon with other 13/14 year olds. Good music without the band.
My mob were totally aware of Prince Buster and his music. We looked up to older brothers and cousins and they influenced us. I remember as a young boy being with my mum and dad on Canvey Island one bank holiday when a small gang from East London were roaming around singing Al Capone. Me and my brother were well impressed and that day I decided I wanted to be in a gang.One of our mates family moved from near Brixton to East London and he brought all his records with him. We...
The Ben Sherman shirts we wore tended to be plain or stripped but the Brutus shirts were tartan or check. For the sussed boys who wore American import short-sleeved shirts the check was a popular choice.