or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

Not so long ago I was walking down my road when the local school day was over. I happened to pass a young girl and her mum. I smiled at them and the mothers response was to grab her child and shout out 'come away from the strange man'. This hysteria is whipped up by the media. The real perverts tend to be not strangers but family members and step fathers.
That. Is exactly my recollection of 1968 to 1972 and how it was for me and my crowd.
There were a few perverts round our way and everyone knew who they were. Mums and Dads just told us to be careful and even as 10 year olds we roamed in packs and would taunt the perverts who were generally simple. One schoolboy did get caught and he was nicknamed Bummer. A name he carried around for a few years. Not sure if he was traumatised by it but it gave him an identity. 
It seems like you are making an heroic effort.. I believe it is an area of recent social history that has never been properly covered before.
In my social circle we were taught never to trust the police. They were always considered to be the enemy.  However in the mid 70's one of our mates was Old Bill and he had won a commendation for tackling a villain who had a knife. He ended up in prison himself alongside another member of our mob for stealing cars from Fords and sending them to Ireland. We didn't have a clue what they were up to but we had a drink before their trial to send them off. As a respectable...
I might have been at that game but I can't remember it. If I was I would have been standing in the children's enclosure,  top right hand side of the North Bank as you look at the pitch. In 1980 I would have been standing in the South Bank.
 True. The Man. U support was always large. Boosted by the cockney reds, of course . The supporters that impressed me the most were from Newcastle. They travelled in large numbers to London, were very vocal and always looking for a ruck.
Yes, the media used to say his nickname was to do with his tackling but really it was to do with his tackle!
 Chopper Harris also looks like a Skinhead role model in that photo.
Good looking Baracuta. Not made in England at that price though. John Simons is now selling his version for £89. I wore my 1980's Baracuta  today. A great jacket for spring or autumn in the UK.