or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

One boy in the photo looks familiar to me. Could it be Ilford Palais 1968/69? I don't recognise any of the other lads so I could be wrong. There was a boy who was always jumping on stage down at the Palais, he even did it at a live Desmond Decker concert. I met him recently as he married my cousin and he reminded me of the Desmond Decker performance (his dance on stage with DD).
In the late 60's the music for my group was Stax, Atlantic, Tamla in that order. In fact we looked down on Tamla as being a bit too commercial but we heard mainly Tamla in the dance halls. At the same time we listened to the English stuff on pirate radio, Radio Caroline in preference to Radio London. My record collection included Hits 1967 Stax, Hits Atlantic 1967, History of Otis Reading and This is Soul. I hardly bough any Tamla. I later bought Tighten Up Volume 2 when...
That list brought back memories. Tom the peeper, great to dance to and James Brown of course. By the mid 70s my mob still unmarried were going to clubs out in Essex and that was the playlist. My clothes were back to Ivy by then. We were aware of punk but that was for a younger audience. Glad that punk washed away all that self indulgent prog rock stuff. I was surprised later to find out that many punk artists were in myage bracket.
I remember Danny Baker working with JSP on TV. Michael Aspel kept charge and DB was the voice of young Londoners. I think this was only shown on local TV. Always liked Danny and on his radio show he used to gently rib Robert Elms about how his accent changed depending on who he was interviewing. I used to change my own accent back then. Not sure anyone does that today.
All my mates had moved on. Even my younger brother and his mates had long hair by then. It is a time I look back to with some embarrassment, dress wise. Some of my mates even started to ridicule reggae and soul music which I thought was a step too far.
My Who anecdote is that when they played Live at Leeds. 1970 Keith Moon threw a drumstick up in the air and smashed the refectory light. I went to Leeds in 1972 and part of the freshers tour included viewing the light. When I took fresher's around I told the same story and the light was not repaired for years.
I was at the Rock at the Oval 1971. I remember the sound system was terrible for most of the acts. Particularly the Faces..I was way past skinhead then with long hair and flares.
My impression was that by 1969 most London clubs consisted of one big gang lead by one of or two leaders. Over  at West Ham it seemed that there were small groups from Aldgate East to Upminster and  all stations in between all with their own leaders.
In 71 I went out with a girl who lived on the Isle of dogs who supported Millwall and she said some of her male school mates were also Milllwall fans even though the school was north of the river. Don't know if it was true. Some of my mob used to go to one or two pubs down the Old Kent Road mid 70s. But we never felt as comfortable as we did down the Mile End Road.There was a club in Charing Cross where East and South London sometimes bumped into each other. Did you ever...
As we know Skinheads didn't invent aggro at football matches but I think they raised it to a new level. Rivalry between WHU and Millwall goes back to at least the 30s, between different dockworkers. I don't remember any matches or trouble between them in the 60s.