or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

You are assuming that all skinheads did up the top button only on a 3 button Jacket based on that drawing. My crowd only used the middle button on our suits and jackets. Our jackets were English and fitted except for the blazers with patched pockets but Ivy was a strong influence on our style in my part of London. 
I think the ship is the Golden Hind replica, built in the late 1940's as a tourist attraction, and part of the sunken gardens to the East of Southend pier. It was demolished in the 1990's.
The 'classic skinhead' archetype was a media creation and the media didn't have a clue what was really going on. As you can see from Mr K's photo above there was a wide range of clothes being worn.I bought a crombie from Dunn and co  Romford for the winter of 1968/69. It was knee length but I was only 15 and I had stopped wearing it by the time I was 17. It had become commonplace and I had grown out of it by then. At 15 I had short hair with a no.4 1/2 inch crop as short...
Sainsburys sell a beige Harrington made by Admiral for £40. 100% cotton all the right details made in Sri Lanka no logos that I could see. Not my cup of tea but cheap and cheerful. 
I think the same. Me and my mates dressed in a similar way but if it was a Saturday or Sunday night we would have been wearing mohair suits.
Ben Sherman used UK factories for their shirt production back then and I did read that at their height they had 5 factories in Northern Ireland. We thought Brutus made their shirts abroad but I did read once they had a factory in the East End of London. Not sure if any shirts were made there.
I personally would only wear a Baracuta as I did back in 69/70. All my mob had Baracutas bought from the Squire shop in Soho. It was part of the one upmanship that was part of the early scene. What others wear is up to them. I might buy a Harrington from John Simons but I am not familiar with other brands.
I agree that most in 69 were wearing snide Harringtons normally bought in the market, but made in the UK. My mob paid the money and got the real thing so we looked down on the cheaper versions. I wandered into a Ben Sherman shop yesterday and thought most of the stuff on sale was rubbish. In 69 their shirts were better than most of the American import shirts in my opinion.
Good point about the DNA of skinhead look. Unfortunately the kids are wearing inferior Harringtons, Ben Sherman and DM's all made abroad, cheap and nasty. Our clothes were generally made in the UK and of superior quality. Say to the teenagers skinhead and they will say right wing racist. The media distortion became the accepted 'truth'.
 I didn't wear football jumpers and didn't know of George Webb shoes. It must have been a local thing.