or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

The classic album cover for originals was the Tighten up volume 2. I still have it in my record collection in the loft.
IMO, looking back, the BenSherman was superior to some USA shirts sold in the UK but we were elitist and snobbish and if everyone could buy a Ben then we were looking for something different. I wish BS made as good quality today. I don't remember wearing any short sleeved Ben Sherman and the USA short sleeved ones I always craved.
Made in USA carried weight in my mob in 1970. 
I would say that the early skinheads were magpies when it came to choosing what clothes to buy and wear. We borrowed ideas from earlier Mods,  Workwear clothes, Army and Navy,continental Europe in particular Italian, Traditional British but a major influence was Ivy. From late 69 onwards. I was aware of the term but had only limited knowledge cleened from what the Squire shop sold and watching Peyton Place on TV. No one I knew wore a sack jacket but we did wear 3 button...
I agree with this 100%. It is almost as if the narrow media image of skinheads has been adopted as 'the look' when we know there was a lot more to it, clothes wise. This site is good for putting the record straight.
Now you have got me thinking. Did I have a long sleeved V-necked Shetland in 68/69 or early 1970?  I had sleeveless v neck pullovers     ( my mum loved knitting them and I had a tasty maroon one) but these were worn over long sleeved Ben Shermans. I have photos that show we also wore cardigans for casual, again with a shirt and maybe sta-prest trousers. I have a 1970 receipt for an Alan Paine jumper from the Squire shop and this could have been a shetland, but I don't even...
I thought it was. Just checking. I have been in there once or twice.
It has been written before but, just to add, I can't remember any of us wearing T-shirts under our Ben Shermans in 68/69/70. In about 1964/65 I remember we used to have cheap white T-shirts which, as kids, we customized with what we thought were Mod symbols. It was all done very badly and had a home made look, but we didn't care. Our mums always insisted that we had to wear vests or we would 'catch our death of cold'. In 1968 I think we regarded string vests or singlets as...
What's the name of the big pub in the background?
      Early West Ham skinheads ?  1923 Wembley. Both my Grandads are in there somewhere. They look too smart to be Bolton Boys.