or Connect

Posts by Bob the Badger

Mr Knightley I think the reason I remember Whitsun 1970 so well was that my mates made the national newspapers and we discussed the day amongst ourselves many times over the years. I can't remember however if we even went to any pubs that day or if we went on the pier. I don't remember if I went to Southend on the August Bank Holiday or if I went to Torquay where we started to visit when we grew out of the mob mentality.
Absolutely right for the smart dressers but some of the crowd at the seaside were boys who hung around street corners and would wear a more kiss me quick imitation trilby. Also I don't remember the shawl collar cardigan being popular but ordinary ones were. I had one myself. The real trilby didn't seem to last more than a few months in my manor. I liked them but never got round to buying one.
I remember that spring bank holiday (46 years today) many were wearing knitwear rather than suit jackets or harringtons. It must have been a warm day. Photos from the Easter bank holiday show plenty of sheepskins. The Heathway gang had a few trilby wearers.I remember this because a fight broke out between themselves and the leader took off his hat to headbutt someone that was getting out of order.
 My mob was part of the 1000's that turned out that day in 1970. We met at Barking and Upminster and travelled down to Southend by train where the police met us on the station to take our boot laces, steel combs and braces. We went into the shops and stole balls of string to use as boot laces. I was wearing a green baracuta harrington from the Squire shop, a Ben Sherman from Mintz Romford Stone Levi Sta-prest from Aldgate and a pair of Martens from Brick Lane.Fighting...
 We only wore stone/beige Levi's in East London/Essex. Fly pockets and worn high as in your photo and without a belt. Didn't see other colours in 1969. I bought mine from the shop near Aldgate East station that sold Brutus shirts .
Count me in as well. I only worked out 'reps' this weekend.
 I started drinking Light and Bitter at 1s 9d a pint. That also went up to 2s in one go. I had forgotten that steep price rise. We all started drinking lager soon after which was even dearer. Good luck with the hip op. Ed. You must have damaged it dancing to the reggae in your youth!
Sleeves look on the long side. I would turn the cuffs back twice to get the look.
I remember the shop. A bloke who worked for me in the late 80s claimed his dad took over the shop. Not sure if he kept it as a sports shop or changed it to a cafe.
In my area there were different types of skinheads but it was also the same melting pot. My mob dressed smart and travelled all over London to pubs and clubs and it wasn't unusual to get into fights when wearing a mohair suit but we didn't go looking for trouble. The Dagenham Heathway mob hardly left their manor and would only visit local pubs and working mens clubs. They would be wearing the jungle greens, officer boots etc. And would fight strangers coming into their...