or Connect

Posts by DerangedGoose

Value is all relative, of course, but I find that even between $100-$200, there are so many classy mechanicals and eco-drives that I have as of yet not found a reason to go for battery quartz; but I admit I dont spend much time exploring that category and I usually try to nitpick every potential acquisition until I can really narrow the field down. 
  The general consensus on Raymond Weil is that they are fairly competent "entry level luxury" watches. All the finishing details are in the case and dial -- little to no effort goes into the movement, which is why the movements are undecorated (and occasionally see accuracy and reliability issues). As with most things, their MSRP / Retail is way out of line and you would take a huge hit in depreciation if you ever tried to flip the watch (easily 50% or more), so my...
 I do not, but they are lovely watches. As I understand it, the latest they go is 2012, so I am not sure how much use the calendar feature will be. My next Raketa will be a world timer:    From there, I want to explore the awesome period styling of Slava:    
 I know the 2209 was a development of an even thinner movement that was judged totally unfit for the rigors of everyday use, but the sheer number of serviceable vintage examples (and their use, for a time, in divers watches) should illustrate the robustness of this movement. Of course, there is always the question of the state that it came to you in originally, but the reality is that few mechanical watches will survive a hard drop onto concrete / tile from a meter up if...
Also, this is one of my beloved Raketas. Its difficult to find sunburst dials in totally mint condition, as they tend to rust / oxidize in moisture, but this was a cheap beauty I couldnt pass up:         Large for a vintage watch (39mm), it technically resides in the wrong case; gold dials were sold in gold plated cases while silver sunburst dials (I am on the lookout for one) came with chrome plated cases like the one this one is housed in. To further make my...
 I too wish there was a greater availability of slim, manual wind dress watches (to me, a proper dress watch must have no date. No seconds is best but I am more flexible on this criteria). Mechanical: Orient Monarch, $268: Beijing Watch Factory Zhufeng S $330   Beijing Watch Factory Behai 5.0 $400   Use lionseek.com to aggregate for-sale listings from all watch forums and you can find a good deal. If you are willing to expand your criteria to power reserve options and...
 From my experience, they readily do, unless they've never even seen a Rolex and only know the brand. Brands like Orient and Christopher Ward can come up with classy, textured, multi-faceted dials and hands for economical price points. I really would find it inexcusable for a small independent assembler of sub homages to price themselves out of "mushroom" territory (the watch community term for small, short-lived look-a-like brands).
Am I the only one with a distaste for sub homages? I understand its an iconic design, but its also readily associated with the Rolex brand, and there are so many unique, classy designs out there that stand out on their own (some even with just tweaks to the standard sub design), that I cant really get on board with the imitation classic sub look. 
Avoid the ferragamo; probably just a chinese fashion watch. Also the white date wheel clashes.    As for Maranez, they are a well regarded microbrand. I have a green california dial model that I am selling elsewhere to thin out my collection, but it has been rock solid (jacuzzi hot water + jets no problem). 300m WR, domed AR sapphire, auto and handwinding. Its a good deal even at their price of $300
For anyone looking for a great deal on a proper, mechanical dress watch (that is, no-date and thin, manual movement) I just picked up this sterile dial unitas-clone powered chinese watch for $75. This is a reputable seller that QCs their watches (the biggest problem with the multitude of parnis sellers is that the watches are not sold cleaned or lubricated, which cuts down on human labor greatly but makes them basically unwearable until fixed). The glass display back is...