or Connect

Posts by no frills

I bought my discontinued Grand Complication Pateks from grey dealers (no choice from ADs), but maintain a good working relationship with ADs like Wempe and Govberg.   Plus my SA at Wempe is very knowledgeable.  And attractive.

Oh snap! She doesn't want to Let It Go! Icy blue and cold steel looks good on her though.
Many grey market sellers offer warranties for the pieces they sell - and allow you to verify with the watchmaker themselves if the timepiece is legitimate. Patek regularly services timepieces purchased from the secondary market, given the kind of turnover their watches go through.Also, if you're gunning for a discontinued piece you may have no choice but to go outside the AD route.I purchased my grand complication Pateks from a grey market dealer and I couldn't be happier....
 The only time I've seen a Patek on another wrist was in watch-buddy related get-togethers.  Or during a Patek-sponsored event.  Oh man that may just be what I need to truly recoup my Costco Executive Membership investment!  Here's the math: 1.  $55.00 regular membership 2.  $110 executive membership gives you 2% cash back 3.  Net cost versus regular membership is $55.  So you need to spend at least $55 / 0.02 = $2,750 to recoup the additional cost, and more to benefit...
For today, a rather symmetrical, balanced piece IMHO:
Fantastic pics of those VC's, NonServiam!!!   I am interested to see how this Mayer vs Maron saga plays out.  The vintage Rolex market has always struck me as incredibly opaque - and if a supposed expert in watch collecting like Mayer can be taken for a ride, well. I suppose the question is - do you think you know more about vintage Rolex pieces than Mayer?  Did he just not go through the standard checks and verifications because he trusted Maron so much?  Did Maron not...
Yeah. That happened to Mayer. http://m.tmz.com/#Article/2014/03/18/john-mayer-lawsuit-rolex-watches-fake-charlie-sheen-robert-maron Guess the question is - if you think you're smarter than John Mayer about buying vintage Rolex pieces from dealers, then go right ahead. Caveat emptor....
 That she apparently does.