or Connect

Posts by no frills

I don't think that's necessarily true.  I'm not convinced that there is a "haute horlogerie" equivalent for pens.  I have a Visconti and I find the case attractive and the writing experience okay but I'm not sure I'd put it above Dupont or Montegrappa; heck, Cartier makes great pens.
 +1.  Also - WRITE with them.  On a variety of paper, if possible.  @aleksandr - if you can make it to a Pen Show (like the one they had a couple of weeks ago in Los Angeles), then you can try out a variety of pens and choose between modern and vintage. Here's a list: http://fpgeeks.com/pen_shows/ My two cents worth - in the beginning you'll need to relearn some new habits, and you may in fact lose or drop an expensive pen.  Buy with a credit card with some form of...
 @Keith T!!! Congratulations and wear that beauty in good health!!!!!
^^^ Mind you, there are a number of ways to possibly increase efficiency. Shortest processing time instead of FCFS, etc etc. Scheduling more "predictable" efforts, as you mentioned. I may sound like I'm defending Patek, but I sure didn't sound like this when it took them two months to replace the pusher caps that one of my chronographs lost. "If the part is in stock, isn't it relatively as simple as replacing a watch strap?" In any case, these are all tired old topics...
But that is an average 'no? What if they open your watch up and it requires a lot more time?
Other fun statistic I picked up last December: there are 21 watchmakers at Patek USA. Each year, they service 5,500 watches (this only counts a full service, not relatively simple requests like setting the time or changing the strap). So, that's about 260 watches per watchmaker, or about one watch fully serviced per business day, over the course of a year. Not counting weekends or holidays. Have any of you guys ever disassembled and reassembled a movement? You sure you...
There is one Master Watchmaker (actually, last I spoke to him, there are now two) trained and licensed by Patek to service one of my Grand Complications in the US. He also happens to be their Director of Technical Services. Anything above a perpetual calendar chronograph like a tourbillon, split seconds chrono or minute repeater needs to be sent to Geneva, where there are about three people who Patek believes can do the job. These guys need about two decades with Patek -...
No real hard and fast rules re: service interval times aside from the standard "every three to five years." Although I rotate across watches, my perp cals are on a wonder so they are pretty much in continuous use - I'll likely stick to a full service every five years because of that.As far as a more involved session for service, I think that largely depends on how many parts need to be replaced, how rare the piece is (and if the parts are easily available). Patek will...
Sunday, February 31, 2015. #PerpetualCalendarMyAss #TimeForThis25YearOldBabyToBeServiced
Let's see it bro!!!