or Connect

Posts by Big Texas

Probably depends on the tannery from which the shell was sourced, and the tanning methods they used. Like you, I'm a former shell lover who steadily became disenchanted over the years, when it became apparent that my "tough" and "indestructible" shell shoes showed every stain, scuff, scratch, and dent imaginable, and often from very little ostensible stress inflicted upon them.That said, some of my shell shoes seem touger than others. I've never had a pair develop...
This is neither here nor there, but if those spots came from produce at the supermarket, they were probably more than just water. Produce is often coated in an interesting spray or bath of preservative chemicals. These chemicals run the gamut from sodium lauryl sulfate, to waxes, to pesticides. This stuff is great for keeping apples shiny and well preserved, but I'd assume it's not so great on your shoes. I'm with you on shell, though. In my experience, it's a much...
In retrospect, I definitely should have. I don't have a printer at home, and to be honest, this stuff didn't really cross my mind at work. (It's been a pretty insane couple of weeks at the office.)Too late at this point, obviously. I guess I'll just wait and see, and hope the seller is an honorable human being. If this ends up being a series of lessons I paid $300 to learn, so be it. I'm not thrilled about it, but I'll accept due responsibility for it.
Cool, thanks. I also figured the ridiculous weather we've been having these last few weeks has played a role.
Thought I'd seek the collective wisdom of this thread for a buy-side question. Here's the situation. I purchased a pair of putatively BNIB shoes, and upon their arrival, I noticed they had significant defects. The seller offers returns, so I talked to him about it, and he agreed to accept them back. We opened a return process on eBay (their new process is kind of wonky, but that's neither here nor there). My girlfriend offered to mail the package for me, because I was...
Not sure what your budget is, but if you're willing to spend a bit more than AE, you can get a slightly nicer shoe from forum favorite Rancourt & Co. They offer a slightly sleeker and dressier penny loafer in their Weltline model. It's a beautiful loafer. Still not sure I'd wear it with a suit, but I think you could get away with it every now and then, under certain...
+1Gimmicky, and not in a good way.
The Randolph is the best of those choices. It will not work with a suit, nor will penny loafers in general. A penny loafer is a casual shoe. It will pass as business casual attire these days, but it will not work with a suit. Yes, I know you'll see people doing it. No, you shouldn't emulate them.
Plenty of businesses mandate black trousers. For instance, TGI Friday's and Chili's. Pieces of flare are optional, but encouraged.
I'm not a lawyer, but a long time ago, I worked at a very conservative financial services company that was the focus of a dress code-related lawsuit. Dress codes, especially when they come to dictating what women can and cannot wear, have become something of a minefield these days. Dress codes are totally defensible, and you're within your right to mandate one. But I'd steer away from the Scylla and Charibdys of overly specific prescriptions and overly vague proscriptions....