or Connect

Posts by Big Texas

As opposed to old men in their 20s? :)   Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, this is all relative. I see a lot more three-piece suits -- and more suits, in general -- in NYC than I do in LA or SF. In those latter cities, the suit is almost nonexistent among the general working population. It's concentrated to a relatively small niche of wearers, most of whom seem to work in finance. One of these fellows could pull off a three-piece and look a bit eccentric, though...
I enjoy it, the subtext.
I'm going to go ahead and assume that, given the various possibilities -- personal or staff stylists, bespoke tailor, magazine stylists, promotional wardrobe furnishment, or hanging out on SF -- the most likely explanation is that he hangs out on SF. We can make this assumption pretty safely, given that Al Roker posts here (as Reevolving).
  Tie Bar ties tend to be on the thick side. Not overly thick, like the kind of $5 ties you can get at a bodega on any old street corner. But thick, and heavily lined.   Honestly, I'd caution you once again against getting a bunch of beater ties. I pursued a similar strategy when I was getting started. I ended up with a rack full of 30 or so mediocre ties, and a lot of buyer's remorse. For the same investment, I could have gotten 10 really nice ties. I understand the...
  I would advise against the "bunch of beater ties" strategy, and instead opt for fewer but better. Ties shouldn't take much of a beating, anyhow. Not sure what you're planning to put them through if indeed that's the case.   I'll second what Quadcammer said, though. If you really just need a handful of ties you don't need to baby or give much of a shit about, just go with The Tie Bar. No sense in spending even $30-50 apiece for ties you're going to neglect, when Tie Bar...
I may still own a Budd shirt or two from about 8 years back. I'd have to go digging through what has unwittingly become an overly large and borderline Gatsbyesque collection of shirts to find them. The necessary humblebrag out of the way, let me say that I was impressed with their work back then. I have no idea how much has changed in recent years, but I would put them on a similar tier to T&A -- albeit with fewer immediately available options for shirtings, due to the...
Well, it makes sense that the buyer has more leverage after the purchase than before. After all, the buyer has to receive (or not receive) the goods before being able to assess whether they're as described.What doesn't make sense is that eBay presumes the buyer is never wrong in his assessment. If a buyer files a SNAD claim, the seller is immediately declared guilty until proven innocent, and he is given the full burden of proof (and often found guilty, even if he provides...
Depends on the size and scale of the patterns in the suit. Generally speaking, if a pattern is so small as to resolve to a solid when viewed at greater than arm's length distance, it can be treated as a solid (provided you don't pair it with similar micropatterned items). It's hard to make sweeping generalizations here without seeing precisely what items you have in mind. For 99% of people, it's probably safest to go with a solid shirt, and either a solid tie or a tie...
The generally predictable, downward trajectory of the quality of both TSBs provided a compelling, if sad, commentary on human nature. An economist could have a field day studying these experiments.
I remember that thread quite well. (I'm older than my join date would appear...)