or Connect

Posts by thelonius

Trickers have a new-looked web site. But I can only see the country boot and shoe collections, no Jermyn St, city, or 1829. Does anyone know why?
I believe my question was to Chogall, not you. However, as I am not the first to remark on Chogall's use of English, indeed remarks have been made in some most virulent ways in this thread by those who know much about shoemaking and should know better, I'm rather taken aback that you should have responded to me in such a way and yet not dared to do so to others. A certain lack of courage no doubt! Actually, I was merely going to give Chogall, in the case that his/her...
Chogall, no offence meant at all by this question, but are you using a web translator, like Google translate or some such, to translate from another language?
Hanwag double-stitching is GYW, as shown in the website video. They look nice, but are they going to really keep your feet dry? It depends on what type of hiking you do, but in any case, leather is not impermeable - doesn't matter how good the stitching is. If you're going to be mountain/hill hiking, possibly in marshy, wet or snowy conditions, you might as well accept that it has to be a moulded-sole hiking boot. Parachoc (subsidary of Paraboot) make some excellent...
 Taking it personally again! Odd, seeing that on this occasion the subject was raised by another and contributed to largely by others. First, as far as I can tell concerning the intersting discussion on the cost and skills necessary to make BR as opposed to GY, no-one has added any objective information at all, including you. No-one taking part seems to have any real information on the subject. You have used it to once more lance shots against GYW in general, but that is...
It is a shame that the preceding discussion about the costs and skills of shoe making by BR versus GY is completely devoid of any factual, objective information that could inform on this question. The only source of such information would be some impartial shoe maker who has experience of both techniques who could contribute something concrete.
I don't think this is true of Blake rapid though, which can be just as heavy as GY. And, in any case, many GY models are quite slim.
Sorry, but you're way off the mark with this reply. I was not making any comparison with the skills implied for HW construction. The discussion is about Blake/Blake rapid versus GY in terms of cost. You haven't provided any objective information to support the assertion that Blake rapid is a more expensive process than GY. Where are the facts? The Italian makers offering both Blake rapid and GY models always price the former below the latter. Doesn't make sense if the...
  Thanks for this really interesting question. I wonder why it hasn't been asked before, if I'm not mistaken. So obvious and simple and yet not made, as far as I can remember, on this thread. Is it certain that Blake rapid is a more costly technique thant GY? I'd like to see some figures about that. And as for mid-soles, many of the Northamptonshire makers use two sometimes three layers of sole leather, so I don't see why that should be a factor. The remark of DWFII that...
The French company produce a pure Hevea sole. I have some Sanders with them. Very nice but strangely bouncy. http://www.lactae-hevea.com/en/index.php