or Connect

Posts by thelonius

More for your delectation   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkpqG2zZOiI&x-yt-cl=85027636&x-yt-ts=1422503916&feature=player_embedded
For your delectation   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CThkqf3KLuw&x-yt-cl=85027636&x-yt-ts=1422503916&feature=player_embedded
Does anyone know how Sowerby's dealer boots are welted, and whether they make the boots themselves or outsource? I read on one website it is some kind of Blake stitch, but on another Goodyear. The maker hasn't replied to my questions. Thanks in advance for any information about this.
My reason for looking at this photo was that the maker says that they use the welting method of cutting the insole at the edges and folding up to form the holdfast instead of the traditional cutting method (feathering ?). But I suppose at the stage shown nothing is different. But if that's the way they do it, I suppose it would be done by machine ? They only make riding boots and jodhpurs as far as I know.
For anyone who's interested and has got the time, what's happening here please ? It's taken from the Internet site of Horace Batten. I know a little about their jodhpur constructions, but I don't understand what's happening in this photo.  Thanks in advance for your inputs..............  
To anyone with any opinions - I have often wondered but never dared to ask about the order of a bespoke pair of shoes in the case that the client had a pronounced difference between the right and left feet. Would a shoe maker attempt to hide this difference, and if so, how ? I have read that differences can go up to one standard shoe size.
Diana Spencer pursuaded her husband at the time (Prince Charles) to buy a pair of EGs. It was against the grain, but he did it. Victoria probably turned slightly in her coffin.  But, of course, I do agree with you that EGs are not for the really rich of this world. But even so, at the prices they charge one has to be fairly well off. Your pathetic contribution adds nothing to the discussion. It's irrelevant if the "number makes sense and sounds familiar to othe...
Well, as you don't cite any real figures, once more one can only say - maybe right and maybe not. I suspect it's more a case of strategy. Yes, EG do do things other firms don't, and yes, they do probably use some more expensive materials. But probably none of these elements can account for the price hike, not even  the hogs bristle sewing. I bet it's a question of reputation, limited production (= rarity) which I read is kept at 350 pairs per week. And of course, there's...
But the making of a pair of shoes by the other shoe firms in the region, for close comparison, that retails at a third of the price than a pair of EGs, still has about the same number of people involved in its making, using near enough the same number of steps, and I don't suppose (but don't know - that would be interesting) the labour will be paid much differently. If these other brands are making the typical margin that you mention, then EG margins must be 3x more than...
Pure speculation. Maybe true,....or not. These calculations are of little interest.