or Connect

Posts by Robhiggy

"When One** Piña Met the Other"
"When on Piña Met the Other" 1oz Vida Mezcal .5oz Liber & Co. Pineapple Gum Syrup .75oz Ramazzotti .75oz lime juice Shake and double strain into a coup.
I personally prefer more traditional, dry juniper-forward gins (though I try to find what's appealing about everything I try).  I think Broker's is an excellent value gin.  I agree with Gibonius that different gins behave very differently in different settings, so a G&T, Negroni, and martini are three good places to start.    The best gin I've ever had is Sacred Gin, which is vacuum-distilled in North London.  Vacuum-distilling allows each ingredient to be expressed...
Got home last night and made a Zucca and tonic (used Fevertree).  If you can find Zucca in your home town I HIGHLY recommend it.  Complex and slightly bitter but truly a wonderful refreshing drink paired with tonic.  I first saw the pairing in Milan.
My first Mai Tai of the year came courtesy of my business partner, Chris.  He just got an awesome collection of tiki mugs and we had to make sure they held liquid without leaks...   1oz Appleton Estate VX 1oz Duquesne Rhum Agricole 1oz lime juice 1/2oz cointreau  1/2oz home-made orgeat (Liber & Co. plans to produce one this year; everything currently commercially available is either inauthentic, offensively expensive, or well-intentioned but poorly...
Have a Raise the Macallan tasting tonight in Austin...I participated in one of these previously when I lived in DC.  Look forward to sharing my thoughts on the scotches on here.  I haven't had a scotch night in a long time...
Made this riff on a classic Jungle Bird last night:   2/3oz Liber & Co. Pineapple Gum Syrup 2oz Rhum J.M  1/2oz lime juice 1/2oz Campari 2 dashes Angostura Bitters   The substitution of the Rhum J.M for the traditional blackstrap rum used in the Jungle Bird gives a fruitier character and less overall body, and it was really nice for a warm night.  The Ango helps make up for the depth that the blackstrap would have brought to the table.  Overall a nice balance. 
It definitely is not pleasant to clean once it has begun to cool.  It's essentially like cement.   One of our biggest challenges is explaining the benefits when used in cocktails.  Japan has been using gum syrup for decades in their coffee.  It's not considerably more expensive, but is miles better than using 1:1 simple syrup which is essentially just adding excess water to your drink.  Even if you are not adding the gum element, at least a 2:1 rich simple syrup helps to...
We've just worked with gum arabic and you're right, it can be a real pain to work with.  We are pushing our way into new markets; I'm not sure what part of the country you're in but chances are you can find us somewhere close.  Also, we have flat rate shipping on our website.   We are working on adding a couple of more quality staples to our lineup, including an orgeat, but we certainly want to make sure we have it right before we release it.  Orgeats are notorious for...
We purchase the juice from a family farm in an unpasteurized and largely unfiltered state, so short of growing and pressing the pomegranates ourselves, we process it all in-house in Austin, TX.  We certainly never use concentrated juices, and try hard to control the process from raw produce to juice as often as possible.  For example, for our Fiery Ginger Syrup we begin with raw ginger root and have it juiced here in Austin, so we control the produce going into the bottle....