or Connect

Posts by Watermelon man

His hair has gone one way then the other, then back again. At least Will has hair... 
Saw this on www.baracuta.com yesterday.   You can bet that their prices will rocket (not that they weren't daft already, but my bet is that those 'sales' Baracuta always had are now a thing of the past).
That's where you're wrong, technically speaking.   Although the 'Astronaut' style of boot and shoe may have been made by many firms, 'Astronaut' was a brand name used by Hawkins, AFAIK.
Remember that old newspaper report? I quote:   "Young Liberals, holding their conference in Skegness, supplied free tea, coffee and biscuits to large gangs of skinheads roaming the resort as a peacemaking offer."   The Times 31 March 1970
Roy, you are right about not hearing of 'Solovair'. Neither had we about '74. When we saw them, we just thought they were inferior DM imitations, no name attached. Perhaps NPS didn't use the 'Solovair' brand name then (no need, when they produced boots for Griggs with DM soles).   With regard to the white 'collar' on boots, I'd never seen them in the flesh until a few years back when someone tried to sell me a crappy second-hand pair that had been re-soled with a...
ItIt's an appealling idea, must admit Unfortunately, while the mind might be willing the body isn't up to it.
What pisses me off is people who are pretentious snobs about clothing, music etc who are YOUNGER than I am who did not live through the times.   I wouldn't say they have no idea, but they often have very distorted and frankly laughable ideas, and end up looking like complete prats. It's like the bloody Sealed Knot, re-enacting what they believe the '60s and '70s were like    My own view, for what it's worth, is that anyone can be a skin if they want to be, and good luck...
What's worse is the absurd price you now pay for this poor-quality footwear. And this is the bog-standard stuff; nothing fancy. For example:   Made in China 8i DM: £100 Made in England 8i DM: £180   These boots cost less than half of that four years ago. Seems to me that (even allowing for the VAT increase from 15 to 20%) they have been inflating their prices ready for the sell-off of the brand (just as FP, Sherman, British Rail etc did).     Contrast...
Correct. I've had three pairs of MiE in the last few years and despite more TLC than I've ever given older (original British) DMs, the leather of all has cracked. The shoes are almost unwearable because of it.   What's more the stitching that holds the leather together has come unpicked on one boot (Superglue repair), the inner bit that strengthens the heel has cracked up and fallen apart in two pairs of boots and the soles in all three have worn down in no time. I'm...
I find DMs Ok to break in but Solovairs not so easy. It's simply the shape of the last compared with the shape of my feet, although the leather used these days for DMs is not so thick or supple. Also, Solovairs are larger than DMs for a given shoe size, but they do half-sizes, which DMs do not. Incidentally, I've got some of those 'plastic-looking' so-called Hawkins Solovairs, and they are a very odd shape -- much too long in the foot.