or Connect

Posts by Watermelon man

Herewith, the cover of the first issue of 'Target', published by NEL in the early '70s. The 'Bovver boy' character is on the front cover, and the poster to which the giant man has referred was almost identical to this drawing.   [The sachet of brine shrimp cysts (so-called 'powder') has been removed from this cover, in case you're wondering. You had to provide your own salt, btw. Think I used Saxa, which may explain why the things died. As I said before, the skinhead...
The Monkey jacket was originally naval uniform. There're several references to them in 'Moby dick':     At last some four or five of us were summoned to our meal in an adjoining room. It was cold as Iceland -- no fire at all -- the landlord said he couldn't afford it. Nothing but two dismal tallow candles, each in a winding sheet. We were fain to button up our monkey jackets, and hold to our lips cups of scalding tea with our half frozen fingers.     Not sure...
Mentioned this a few posts back. From 'Target' magazine circa 1972.
The Adam 'Crombies' are well-cut and warm but like most imitations have a lining that rips easily and in particular tears around the inside breast pocket as there is no reinforcement there. They are the same as the JtG coats. I think Adam sells them in two lengths.   That said, I'm thinking of getting another Adam coat to wear when my real Crombie is likely to get beer spilt on it. I feel vulnerable when wearing a coat that now sells for in excess of £700 (not what I...
As I wrote above, New English Library was the publisher. The comic/magazine only ran for about 18-24 months. I could look up where the rights lie now, but I suspect that it's complex (they might rest with the artist or another firm that bought up NEL, or with someone else (for example, I think the rights to the Richard Allen books were assigned to ST Publishing by the author). There is a comic library somewhere, although any of the national libraries will have all the...
'Extreme'? Don't make me laugh.   I still dress like that now (although I wore black socks to work today). Red socks (often football socks folded down) were normal from the early to mid-'70s at least.   I might call the '80s 'extreme', but as far as I'm concerned red socks and shortened trousers are normal skinhead attire which I still wear almost every day (an exception will be a meeting I'm off to next week, when I'm wear a suit and brogues)
  It was from 'Target' (not to be confused with another comic of the same name) which was a short-lived boys' weekly magazine which hit the newsagents' shelves in April 1972. It was published by the New English Library which, at the time, was also publishing the 'Richard Allen' skinhead books.    'Target' was about 30 years ahead of its time. It had relatively few cartoon strips, and included articles on pop, films, fashion, football and other things the editor thought...
I thought you were being ironic or something. Presumably you slept through the '70s.
You're taking the piss?
I still bloody do talk back to them, and write letters of complaint to all and sundry if they are like the ignorant twats we encountered in Margate a few years ago.   And they still ignore the public entirely, despite all their new-fangled 'customer charters' etc.