or Connect

Posts by Watermelon man

Yes... I have a pair of old Sta-Prest-like trousers (actually not 'originals' as the fabric would have decayed by now if they were 100% cotton treated in the 1964 manner). Too small for my oversized waist now, however, although I live in hope that I might loose weight again one day... :) They are razor-sharp, unlike any of the modern repros. Also narrowly-tapered at the ankle (7").   The Brooks Bros Plain Front 'Advantage' Chinos (especially if you get the narrower ones...
Will, you're an intelligent man. Read what I wrote. I said that they were the closest to the originals I'd seen in 30 years (actually, now I have done the sums, in 20ish years, since the Levis shop locally closed).   I did not say that they were the same as the 1960s variety.
I did indeed mean that. They may well differ in all those ways, but they are still closer than the Relco, JtG, Brooks Bros and Merc 'Sta Prest' of today.   As said above, the 'Sta Prest' brand name has been applied to many different styles and items of clothing by Levis, regardless of whether they were made from Sta Prest cloth. The last abominations were 508 jeans under the Sta Prest banner: I think Stuarts still has a few pairs for...
http://www.levi.com/GB/en_GB/men-clothing-pants/p/978110012?productid=978110012&brand=LEVI This is the first time I have seen something close to the originals in almost 30 years, although there are several imitations from Merc, Jump-the-Gun and Relco in the UK of course. I wrote the text below three or four years ago.     --- Permanent press trousers Alan Birnley: You need a good spanking! Daphne Birnley: You don’t even know what he’s...
Me too. I think bad taste reached its apogee at some time in the 1970s, however. 
I think you can take the parallel too far, but it's easy to forget how absurd mens' fashions became (albeit for only a brief period) in the mid-1960s.
'Clean living in difficult circumstances' was an inspired title.   You're right about being pared back. It's a bit like Beau Brummell. Although what he wore seems flamboyant to us today, his clothes were very simple and understated compared with the OTT Regency style he rejected. It applies to scooters too -- the mirror-festooned Mod scooter gets cut back to a skelly.
Righto. I don't know what the original title was. But since I've come late to the party, it would help to know:   1. Who is the intended readership/market? (old skinheads after nostalgia, hoolie-lit readers, historians/sociologists, fashion students etc) 2. Why is it being published? (to set the record straight, to present material that hasn't been seen before, to provide a definitive historical record, to bring together diverse elements of the style (music, clothes,...
I hesitate to write this, as a newcomer to this forum and one who seldom contributes, but in my opinion 'Walk proud', 'Walking proud' and similar titles are poor, for the reasons 'Buttons' suggests. They might have resonance with a US readership, or those who know their reggae, but not for the potential purchasers of the book in the UK.   A black-and-white collage is far better than a coloured logo, as it gives someone glancing at the cover an immediate impression of...
Can't remember. The first edition from April '72 (as you can see on the cover) included a poster of 'President buttons'. I think the 'Bovver boy' poster was several issues later.   Re: Monkey jackets. The book which I think will tell us the origin of the term is the Historical Thesaurus of the Oxford English Dictionary, but at nearly £300, I don't think I'll be buying it soon. They probably have it at work, though.