or Connect

Posts by conak

I like the fit as is. Going down a size would be quite slim, and while I like moderate slim fit (or more correctly, properly tailored garment) some of the more extreme slim fitting sport coats just make people look fat and boyish. Also, I'm of the opinion that if you can't physically move in a sport coat as it was once intended (ride a horse and shoot a rifle) then it doesn't fit properly, and I suspect any tighter and you will have trouble lifting your hand high enough to...
Can anyone who owns the Hunter model (not bounty hunter), ideally the insulated, give a few words review? I've been thinking of ordering a pair for outdoors in the upcoming winter but can't find any opinions on the boot? What temperature ranges do you find them comfortable for? Do you feel the insulation affects sizing, or durability? How do you like them overall?
So, at one time tweed, was unthinkable for the city. It certainly doesn't seem to be that way today, and as a tweed lover, I would argue it creates a much nicer look (in season) than most standard suiting wool. I would also argue that outside of work environments with very strict suit codes, it is great for the office, too. But I was thinking about how it used to be inappropriate even just for the city in general, and I thought about the purpose of tweed as a sort of...
Nice! I'd say they went above and beyond on this one. They made it right, and that's good to see. Retailers like Bakers will help prevent any slides in QC if the day ever comes that the new board of directors of the holding company that bought Whites starts to pressure them to cut costs.Unfortunately, I discovered Whites a bit late, after a long time enjoying the british boots like Trickers, so I only have one pair ( farmer/rancher), but I love them and have been planning...
I have items other than bags and jackets. I have shirts, pants, vests and boots. I like everything I have from them with the exception of a pair of knit gloves that the stitching opened up on the first day of use. I did get them on clearance for 5 bucks though, so not that bog of a deal. I try to avoid the outsourced stuff, though I have had good experience with most of it, but I wouldn't pay full price for something not made in the USA.As for accessories, I have the belt,...
True they can be on the slim side, though that works for me, as I usually can size up and get a jacket to my proportions that way. Pants I usually get from other sources anyways, and have found good tweeds and wool twills from Orvis and Bills khakis, though the Woolrich pants I have are not overly slim.Thanks for the William Lennon recommendation. I just may have to give them a try. I wish the surgeons jacket came in a lighter color. I have a charcoal tweed coat...
I like it; I have a Nigel Cabourn small peak jacket coming my way. Do you own that Donegal Surgeons jacket you linked? If so, where's it made? I like the look of it. Very much my style. I own quite a bit of Filson, and I'd recommend almost all of it, though most of their stuff is more casual than your example. Other similar work can be found by woolrich under their Woolrich Woolen Mills label, and by Engineered Garments, and Post Overalls (Post O'Alls). As far as I know...
Thanks US grant and Zipphyh for the clarification. Don't get me wrong, I still like and purchase many of their items, including their newer models, and I would love to have some of the black label stuff. I'm just worried at the general trend toward mass production and outsourcing (though kudos to them for bringing several of the items back to domestic production.). The fact they moved from 26 oz to 24 oz on the mackinaw items is an example of my concern. Why did the wool...
FYI, it's the corporation that owns Polo Ralph Lauren, (forget what they call themselves now). And we can definitely see that corporate influence. Still generally quality stuff, but they keep adding crap made to increase the profits by exploiting the hard-earned good name, not to mention moving production to 3rd world countries, reducing the overal quality while maintaining prices. Then in order for the high priced outsourced goods to seem reasonable, they jack up the...
+2I own a lot of filson gear. None of it has names on it but any filson owner would spot it a mile away. Unfortunately this is a fairly standard trend when companies sell out...Take a respected name with a solid reputation, plaster the name all over so other people who admire the clothes know what to buy, then cut costs while maintaining price, then fizzle out into mediocrity before moving to the next brand. Remember that Ambercrombie & Fitch used to be a serious outdoors...