or Connect

Posts by Nicholas D C

Oh yeah, me too - I've been using a Merkur 34C for the last couple years, but just with some shaving soap (Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna). Have expanded my 'shaving regimen' for the first time though, as I noted in a previous post, bought some pre-shave oil and aftershave balm (and some T&H 'ultimate comfort' shaving cream, rather than soap). I'm hoping it'll make the experience even more enjoyable.   But yes, I remember the first two weeks! I was very fortunate not to mince...
  That's interesting, one of my mates has been complaining vociferously about in-grown hairs, and he's using a cartridge razor as well - says he doesn't go against the grain for fear of getting 'em. Might tell him to try a safety razor and a pre-shave oil to see if that helps him out.
Just out of interest, does anyone here use safety razors for their shaving regimen? I just ordered a pre-shave oil for the first time (Truefitt & Hill) and am looking forward to seeing if it makes a significant difference to the softness of the stubble. Managed to pick up a couple Kiehls post-shave products (Razor Bump/Facial Cleanser) as well, and also grabbed a Truefitt & Hill aftershave balm.    P.S. Thomas Lyte briefcase shipped today - I'm excited! 
    I was in Thailand last month and got six shirts, a blazer and a suit made from Pinky. My father got three suits, one in a fabric by Canali and two others I don't recall. The fit and finish is fantastic, with very tight stitching - couldn't be happier for the price (around 400 to 700 $AUD depending on the level of the suit you go for) and around 50 $AUD a shirt. 
So to conclude my briefcase meanderings, I cancelled my Fossil Estate Doc. briefcase order as a friend linked me to this insane deal (http://www.thomaslyte.com/byron-briefcase-calf-leather-chocolate.html) on a Thomas Lyte briefcase. Managed to snag a usually $1300 AUD product for about $500. Looks absolutely beautiful and I'm sure it would last me a lot longer than a Fossil cheapie would.    Thanks to meister for some great recommendations previously in the thread...
So my new shoes from the HerringShoes Christmas sale arrived this morning. Very happy with 'em, especially the Loake Knightsbridge.        The Timberland boat shoes feel a lot more solid and nicer than the crappy Dek pair I have been wearing recently. Must say, HerringShoe's service is absolutely brilliant - the UK to Australia in 3 days with free shoe horns and polish matched to the colour of each shoe (sans the boat shoes of course). Very quick at replying...
  Great read, good to see quality mens outfitters are doing well around the world. Some of those sales growth figures are pretty impressive. I'm somewhat bemused about the 300 quid Givenchy tee-shirts though.
  Appreciate the advice. Will check out Oroton - all of their stores (to be fair, only three or four) I've visited so far barely had any stock left after the Christmas/New Years rush. Another option would be to pull the trigger on the Fossil bag for now (as I'm enamoured with its looks more than anything else) and just save up for something a little more serious should it become a priority in the future. Man those Berlutis sure do look amazing... probably a few years off...
  Yeah, my father has been wearing Lloyds shoes for some time and he hasn't had any issues with them - but then again, he buys a few new pairs each year. I'm personally not a fan of their lasts or styling tbh. I really like the Loake 1880 line's aesthetics, particularly the Oxfords. And the John Lobb City IIs... *drools*.   Thanks for the rec. regarding briefcases, will give Cardini a look-see when I'm near Town Hall next. Just checked their website quickly and price-wise...
  After spending a couple hours at Bondi Westfield today looking at overpriced crap from Bally, LV, Coach, TUMI and Rodd & Gunn I'm pretty much settled on Saddleback Leather for a briefcase, although I'm unhappy with the overall look of it... Anyone know if FOSSIL bags are decent quality? They're having a sale at the moment and are around 250 bucks, which doesn't seem too bad for what you get, but I haven't had the chance to have a proper look at the stitching and ask...