or Connect

Posts by Nicholas D C

Thanks, have been to the Birkenhead outlet before, will have a search next time I'm in the vicinity - sounds like you found some good deals.      I tend to agree with you here - most of my Ralph Lauren purchases have been on sale or from Birkenhead. 
  Thanks for the info, will be popping down to Coombs tomorrow I think.   As an aside, Ralph Lauren has got some new stock in this week - I was at the Chatswood Chase store a couple days ago, and they had some beautiful mid-grey and khaki-esque wool trousers in stock. Their knits are wonderfully soft and comfortable as well, although I'm a tad afraid of the price tags. During the sale they had 60% off some cashmere jumpers, but unfortunately by the time I came back they...

With this wet weather lately I'm thinking about topying my business shoes, as I'll be walking around a reasonable amount and would prefer avoiding death by cobblestones. Tried using the 'search this thread' feature, but not much luck; where can I get a good topy job done in Sydney? 
  I think my specific worry with a for-profit mentality in education is more about universities needing to provide for long-term rather than short-term interests. A surplus more often than not is reflected in the Vice Chancellor's bonus and salary, and those of his executive staff, rather than the actual betterment of the university - e.g. employing more teaching staff. You could see this exact path being followed by the previous VC of Mac Uni (he paid himself 1.5 million...
  The fat in the university system lies primarily in administrative overhead. I regularly chat to a Professor at Macquarie University, and the horror stories I hear about bloated admin. salaries and corruption are worrying to say the least. The poor teaching staff, in comparison, do the hardest work, on top of half the work the admin staff are paid for, and don't really get recognised for it at all.   I did my undergraduate degree overseas in England. I noticed a...
    Thanks for the informative post Nabilmust - appreciate it. Also good to know your daily wearers are TM fabrics Romp, that is very reassuring. I think I'll try out a Cottonwork Thomas Mason in a shade of blue w. button cuff and see how I go with that, and then decide whether I want to pull the trigger on any more from there. Anyone know if Cottonwork has promos or discount codes? I have a 5% off coupon I got with my fabric samples, but was hoping someone here might...
  Yes, might do some space tourism whilst I'm at it.    I have actually already gone custom for the majority of my business shirts (courtesy of a fairly good tailor in Bangkok, shirts made from Egyptian cotton, I think he said it was same fabric as some RLBL shirts). Of course, my experience wasn't the same as if I'd gone to Charvet or Savile Row, but that'll be on the cards next year when I'm back in the UK (and damn, Maurice Sedwell/Andrew Ramroop is more expensive than...
  Cottonwork doesn't seem to provide info on ply count unfortunately, but both are 'Super-fine Egyptian cotton' according to the website, and all are pure cotton generally. I'm mainly interested in whether TessMonti is noticeably better than the Thomas Mason fabric (which I have a sample of, and was quite impressed by when feeling it and comparing to Cottonwork's own fabric tiers). Thanks for the info re: ply count though, will keep an eye out. Generally 2-ply cotton...
  Just out of interest, how would a Cottonwork ($75 tier) compare against Herringbone's $180 shirts? And what about the Thomas Mason and Tessitura Monti tiers?   One other thing I've noticed is that Cottonwork's TessMonti shirts are 200 thread-count (and cost approx 210 AUD) and the Thomas Mason ones are 120 thread-count and cost $140. Are Thomas Mason and TessMonti otherwise of equal quality?