or Connect

Posts by marcodalondra

Considering that you completely diverted from your initial researched choice of dark weird colour palette into exactly what I first suggested and then when I pointed this out previously in response to your wrong assumption you immediately disappeared from the discussion, I think the advice was very valuable to you We all learn and become informed, but as many have said before me there is no one more dangerous as a preacher then the converted, and having stumbled across...
Thanks God I am rambling and what did you just do?As Unbel said, so much wrong.... You may say that it was established faster in America or that you gave it the name Tuxedo (it is still mainly know as dinner suit this side of the pond), but trying to tell Henry Poole that the it began in America...
19th into 20th century is the period to consider as the gentlemen that influenced that fashion lived across the two century.The argument as degenerated but again my main point is location and where the traditions originated, but considering all that, I am arguing that in a formal church ceremony, no matter the time, it would be better in 2014 to wear a three piece suit rather then a black tie rig. You were the one stating that protocol should dictate to wear morning wear...
With all the "pleated shirts/wing collar/pique bib British" or not you are demonstrating once again to have limited your research to individual viewpoints. In any case, American politician and admired businessmen were travelling to London for cloths back in 1800's as Hollywood actors seen as style icons have done in more recent times. They were also the driving force behind the start of the travelling tailor/shirtmaker/shoemaker concept. The fact that certain things...
ImTheGroom: Which are the American authority you are considering? Debrett is a good etiquette book, but probably revised too often. For instance Prince Michael of Kent daytime wedding : When the formal rules were established as you said there were not evening weddings, and white tie was the most formal used dress code. I do recognise that even in England that has been surpassed by The cutaway coat, and within their established framework (morning ceremony and lunch...
I would start with a general argument that classic menswear per se is stepped in European tradition, and even the often mentioned American Apparel Arts illustration were accompanied by text referring at what was done in London. But let's step back: etiquette books from the early 1900 to 1950's (at least in Europe for the as recent as 1950 part) clearly define wedding dress codes according to importance of place (e.g. City cathedral vs village parish church) and social...
Yes, not everyone can adhere to the highest level of formality, and that is fine, and yes we know that is common in USA for getting married in churches in black tie, but we owe it to the name of this sub-forum ( Classic Menswear) to dispense proper advice so the the reader can dress and look better then the average Man. Black tie may have replaced white tie In USA for what where once SOCIAL evening/dinner occasions, but have no place for traditionally formal occasion such...
Mr Daniel, I am not 100% sure you are addressing my post, however White tie, was and still is used in formal morning events, such as Wedding in northern Europe (Scandinavian country) and when meeting the Pope (with a black waistcoat). In any case, my post had few ifs, and I was trying to address the location issue, for instance, a traditional Christian church wedding, demand the highest formality that the wedding couple can adhere to, and whilst the "social event Black...
I think that the location as well as the time of the ceremony is equally important, as I said before. If it is in a church, then no matter the time, one should not wear a dinner suit (tuxedo), as it is simply not appropriate. Forgetting those online guides for a moment, if one seek to read the proper etiquette books from early 1900 to 1960 (at least in Europe for the later part), great emphasis is given to the type of wedding, then location then time of the ceremony. As a...
I have met Panico in person, as reported in my Naples report a while back, and I can assure you he is a true elegant man, both on the his outside appearance, and more importantly his inside, with modes, language and flairs of gentlemen past. Before talking about him people should know what they are talking about.