or Connect

Posts by MarkSilber

Florsheim, Johnston Murphy, Allen Edmunds.  If you require extreme comfort or stand all day, try SAS, Ecco, or Mephisto.  Look for a shoe you can polish with ease, especially if you get dressed before the sun rises, and shoe polishing is a chore you squeeze in between rising and leaving for work.  
Neither the creases nor the needle holes will ever totally disappear, but if they're for wearing to a pasta house, you may well be satisfied with the result.  If the end of the pant leg is not now frayed, then there is no reason to believe simply rolling the hem down will fray the ends.  Do keep in mind, though, a longer pant leg will brush your shoes (or the ground) and will begin to fray.  It depends on just how good you expect to look in chinos.  Try it.  You've...
I read this entire string, and the question remains unanswered.  I don't know the answer, so I'm repeating the question, hoping someone who KNOWS the answer will respond.   QUESTION:  If I buy a canvassed suit with creased flat lapels, can I take it to a real tailor or professional cleaner who will successfully turn flat lapels into rolled lapels?  Can it be done?  (And, if you really know the answer, is a special steam buck required or can anyone do it?)  Thank...
Thanks, I'm off to that website, now.  I've already learned something - never heard of Oxxford.
Rack Suit Makers - Which Offers Classic Look Short of Custom?  Nothing Glued; Nothing Too Trendy        Just as the perfect sailboat doesn't exist, I suppose the perfect rack suit doesn't, either.  Rack suit makers come and go; trendy design dictates glued fabrics; materials are so thin, moths are hungry; one steam buck does the work of many, eliminating the traditional rolled lapel.  If you drool at David Letterman's suits, then you'll appreciate this thread.  The...
     Just as the perfect sailboat doesn't exist, I suppose the perfect rack suit doesn't, either.  Rack suit makers come and go; trendy design dictates glued fabrics; materials are so thin, moths are hungry; one steam buck does the work of many, eliminating the traditional rolled lapel.  If you drool at David Letterman's suits, then you'll appreciate this thread.  The object is to identify a rack suit maker who gets close to a David Letterman look without paying for...
Pleased to know there are others who insist on a rolled lapel.  Never knew the difference until I had a jacket cleaned & pressed at a Hyatt hotel (Hyatt Grand Cyrpess, Orlando).  Now, I need a rack suit maker who delivers its new products with true rolled lapels.  Photos of Hickey suits are "OK" on their websites, but suits on retail racks all have crushed lapels.  Who makes & delivers true rolled lapels?
So pleased to know I'm not alone requiring my cleaner to return suits & jackets with a properly rolled lapel.  Never knew the difference until I had a jacket cleaned & pressed at a Hyatt hotel (Grand Cypress, Orlando, FL).  Ever since seeing the difference, have worked to duplicate the magnificent look.  Now, which rack suit makers deliver their product with a rolled lapel?  Hickey's seems moderate...