or Connect

Posts by Pierce R

Finishing the underside of the upstairs flooring and using it as a ceiling was our first instinct. It came down to belt-sanding and hand-finishing about 1000 sf, overhead -- which is horrible work; the sawdust falls straight on you and gets into places you don't want to think about -- and then hand-staining it, all of which would involve renting scaffolding for a few weeks and possibly marring the floor which would mean refinishing it, vs. bringing it down to just under...
There's a little coffee bar in the next town over that roasts its own beans. If you get there on the right day the beans still have the oil oozing out of them.    Household Six doesn't drink coffee so I make mine single-cup with a ceramic filter holder. Pinch of salt and a dash of cinnamon in the grinder.   I like my coffee like I like my women: sweet, hot, nonfat, and all over my crotch when I'm driving. 
  Thank you.    It's kind of SugarButch's dilemma, though: this was a one-way trip for us. When we decided to do this, we decided that we'd grow old in this house. We'll keep tinkering with it but we're never buying another one. At least not as a primary residence.   It's big enough that we don't need any more room. And in these days of vinyl and cut-rate stud construction, there's just nothing like this. The barn is balloon framing and entirely built from old-growth...
I joined the Army Reserve a few years ago when my wife became chronically ill and we got dropped from our medical coverage. I was 38. I wish to hell I'd done it when I was 20. I'm really good at it, I love my unit and my MOS, it keeps me in far better shape than most guys my age, and the benefits are tremendous. Most of all, if I'd done it at 20 I'd be working on my Ph.D for free while drawing a pension right now. Hell, if I'd done it at 20 I'd probably be working at the...
  Thanks. It was a fun build. I did it all with junkyard and swap-meet parts. I left a few square yards of knuckle skin under that hood.   What I love is that the Mustang II is that most reviled Mustang in history. I mean, I found the body at a swap meet where the guy couldn't unload it. But I knew the old Mustang 302 uses the same mounts and has the same plant as the 5.0 HO, and the HO can be stroked all the way out to 347 for not much money. Heck, you can find a crate...
  I had the same thing. It all works out. You'll find something. We have a little sailboat, I work on my hot rod (see "Cars We Drive" thread), I like to take long runs down by the water. We have a lot of really good sex.   Do it, man. Get out while you can. 
  I love the look of character-grade walnut. And we did this build with cash, so we used whatever wood we could get. The log wall behind the piano is cedar; the baseboards and trim are hem fir, the front door is clear cedar, and the beams are wrapped in reclaimed knotty pine stained multiple times. The crown is mahogany, the faux ceiling beams are cedar, the window wraps are hem fir with knotty pine sills, and the ceilings are yellow pine. The cabinetry is a discontinued...
Thanks, everyone. We're on Puget Sound near Tacoma, WA.   The most rewarding thing is that the prior owners had screwed it up so badly that we got it for nothing. It was on the market for 500 days and it was a divorce property on top of that.   We'd built a nice nest egg from renovating and flipping properties during the boom, and we got out of the market in '07 before it got really bad -- we were actually hunkered down in a 1-bedroom rental when we found the...
^ You're a dick.   But that was pretty funny.
Been doing a 2.2-mile loop with steep short hills every day for the past week to prep for my annual APFT. I've gotta knock out 2 miles on a track under 14:06 this coming Saturday, which wouldn't be so bad except I'll be doing it after throwing down somewhere around 70 push-ups and the same amount of sit-ups. And I'm just coming off a post-deployment break plus the holidays so I'm about 10 lbs. over my fighting weight right now.   I can do it, but it's going to really...