or Connect

Posts by Nick V.

Thanks for the input but, I don't like the idea. When/if they fail I get the shoe back only to have to take the whole thing apart again.The company has been around over 100 years. Me, north of 40. This is the way we have always done it.Whether you believe me or not is no concern to me. I'm the one that has to deal with the issues nobody else.If I had problems with a method and or material I would have to be crazy not to make adjustments/ corrections. Many here on SF use...
Okay.....that's your view.In the case of the AE shoe. The one I posted a picture of.What would you do?
No need to read all of this. Been doing it for ever. Never a problem, no complaints.
Yes there was a crease in the area that would be above the heel breast. Both shanks will be replaced with steel out of our inventory.To dispel some previous false claims of my "vested interests". This is a perfect example. My true vested interests lie in what is doing best for the customer. We see this all of the time and just replace them w/o telling or charging the customer. My philosophy is a simple basic one....Take care of the customer and everything else will take...
When we take a shoe apart and find a bad or week shank we discard the bad one and pair the good one up with a matching one. If there is no match we replace both. The good one gets saved in inventory to be used as a match later. It's not like a bad tire. If the shank is good, it's good.Yes...A competent cobbler should be able to install a more rigid or steel shank (upon your request) without disrupting the intended balance of the shoe.
Thank you Sir. It's been edited.While I'll be the first to openly admit...I am not an eloquent writer, my spelling is for shit and, I am basically a computer dummy. In fact, I had trouble following your steps. I had to get my Son to do this for me!! But, I do know the shoe repair business inside and out. Now that I am up to speed with this old phe-nom of posting pics I'm happy to contribute more when I can.Thanks again.
Sorry about that. I guess I don't know to post a pic! I have it in my mail box.Any suggestions would be helpful. In the meantime I'll try and figure it out.
Here is a pic of an AE shoe we just opened: 20140627_124515.jpg 4,962 KB You can see the "member" we discussed earlier. I prefer to refer to it as a shank because a shank is basically any support in this area made of various materials.
Well taken....It could very well be the foot -or- the circumstance of the user. That's why I asked him to compare to another brand of singled leather soled shoes. Just looking to establish a benchmark. Maybe the issue can be pared down using a reference point.AE says they don't use shanks. To keep things simple I consider anything that supports the heel and gives it more support a shank. No matter what it consists of. I see several pair a day. They are not made of steel or...
Funny that you brought this up.On several occasions I have had customers request them that didn't need them.We always inspect the toe area to see if the sole has worn to far towards the welt. If that's the case it needs a leather build up before we can install the flush mounted toe pieces. Many times I see the toe area shows hardly any wear. I tell the customer you really don't need them (I can tell his gait from the wear pattern).I figure I'll save the guy $40.00. I get...